Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Header Tank

1. #1 Header Tank 
    club member
    Ahoy ! Me again !
    Fitting overflow/header tank and find I have two connections, one of which I am happy goes to the header/tee tank but not sure where the other goes ?
    Suspect either another outlet on induction manifold or a tee into the heater elbows ? Free beer !

2. #2 Re: Header Tank 
    club member Club Member
    Hi,
    Can you post up a photo of your header tank so we can see where the outlets are. What engine is it for? I have a Rover V8 and use an SD1 header tank. My header has a bottom feed to the engine and a top outlet that is above the pressure cap seal, so as to take any expelled water away to the ground. Hope this helps. Regards Mike

3. #3 Re: Header Tank 
    club member Club Member
    Different engines will have different plumbing.
    Typically, a flat cap with no pressure relief is fitted to the radiator. A pipe is fitted to the overflow on the radiator and connects to the header tank, which should have it's own separate overflow. A normal rad cap with pressure relief should be fitted here. A larger pipe should be connected to the bottom of the header tank and plumbed in to the rest of the cooling system. This should be at a point that will promote circulation through the header tank, to help with separating air from the coolant. The overflow from the header just runs to ground.
    Last edited by scott h; 16-11-2021 at 11:28 PM.

4. #4 Re: Header Tank 
    club member
    Funny how when you sleep on it the penny drops ? The connection for the pipe from the tank to the radiator cap is above the pressure cap so it is a spill off and he spare pipe on the catch tank is simply the overflow which should point down behind the engine.
    Thanks for replies !