Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning.

I bought a Marlin Roadster

a few weeks ago, having kicked the idea around for a long time, a few details on my Retrorides thread:

With a mate, I had considered buying the company when it was for sale some time ago, but geography and the main asset being a diesel powered demonstrator put us off pursuing it beyong initial discussions.

Two questions spring to mind; my Marlin is fitted with an ugly rollover hoop which seems to be welded in; if I remove this, is the chassis likely to flex unduly? What would be the options for seat belts and their mountings (it currently has inertia reel belts, the upper mounting being attached to the roll hoop)? That's really one question; #2 is:- How on earth does one upload an avatar / profile picture here?

Edit, forget question #2; I've worked that one out.
    Last edited by etypephil; 20-11-21, 07:17 AM. Reason: Lameness.

Re: Good morning.

The screen is the roll bar on the Roadster and removing the one at the rear will not cause any problems as they were designed not to have one.

Here is the solution Marlin came up with.

Hope this helps.

Adrian

P.S. Welcome to the club.

20211120_090232.jpg

Comment

Welcome to the club. I am currently rebuilding DRL 152K. Or perhaps I should say building....
      Suggest you check for cracks in the bulkhead arround the pedal box. Older cars used to suffer badly with this problem.
      See my build thread!
      Cheers Robin

Comment

Hi both

This is what Marlin came up with as a solution to cracks in the bulkhead

Hope this helps

Adrian

20211120_102230.jpg

Comment

Follow the link in my forum signature for loads of info.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen, I have followed Steve's link to its conclusion, and will investigate the seat belt mountings and bulkhead when it gets light. From memory, I think that there is a bulkhead brace already. An interesting aside; the previous owner suffers weak legs, and added electric pump driven power assistance to the clutch and brakes. Something I have noticed when driving is a lack of steering self centring; is this a chassis design fault, or can the castor angle be adjusted (Marina suspension)?

Comment

The Marina suspension is not really adjustable other than ride height. The major downside of its simple design.
              The only adjustment that Marlin suggest was the moving of the thick and thin packing washers on the top suspension arm.
              However some owners have modified the suspension to allow adjustment. The method seems to be to make the front tie bar adjustable and bin the torsion bar in favour of coil over dampers.
              I did think about it but decided to keep the standard setup at least to start with....
              Cheers Robin

Comment

Lots of discussions on this over the years, best to look via the search facility on here. As Robin says though, it's really a feature of the design set up.

Comment

This is what Marlin suggested

20211121_122531.jpg

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
                  The Marina suspension is not really adjustable other than ride height. The major downside of its simple design.
                  The only adjustment that Marlin suggest was the moving of the thick and thin packing washers on the top suspension arm.
                  However some owners have modified the suspension to allow adjustment. The method seems to be to make the front tie bar adjustable and bin the torsion bar in favour of coil over dampers.
                  I did think about it but decided to keep the standard setup at least to start with....
                  Cheers Robin

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                    This is what Marlin suggested

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12631[/ATTACH]

That looks useful; many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X