Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio E416AYB

Hello everyone

I have recently purchased E416AYB, a very nice example of a Cabrio albeit showing a little neglect of late.

I have been working to restore both mechanically and bodywork/cosmetics, however, have stumbled on an apparently redundant switch to the right of the steering column (below the main dashboard) and non operational spots lights, maybe a linked - or rather a non linked issue!

Anyway, before I start to dismantle the dash to trace the wiring, are there any former owners, or members familiar with the car who can provide any insight?

Thanks in anticipation for any help and/or advice.

Graham

Re: Cabrio E416AYB

Removing the dash is not a five minute job! It is a characteristic of kit cars that no two are exactly the same, being open to the choices of the original builder. Why not start with some basic checks. Fuses and bulbs. Then jury rig a 12v feed to the spots to check if they work. Check the bulbs. Check the Earth connections to the spotlights. Check behind the dash switch with a borescope if you can borrow one, or even use a mirror, to see if a wire connector has pulled off the switch. Make notes as you go. Stop for a brew from time to time and recheck your notes. Don’t assume anything! Good hunting! Peter.

Comment

Hi Peter. Thanks for the advice. Spots work when connected to the battery, therefore guessing it is the power supply! Graham

Comment

Originally posted by graham g View Post
        Hi Peter. Thanks for the advice. Spots work when connected to the battery, therefore guessing it is the power supply! Graham
        Great! Tick in the first box then! Don’t forget the malevolent earths! Keep chipping away at the checks. Peter.

Comment

Just a thought. On my Hunter the spot lights are fed from the main beam circuit. Have you checked if yours come on with main beam? Re the dash switch, remember that some functions (rear fog light for example) only work when the ignition is on or need the side lights to be switched on first. Can you post a photo of the dashboard switch. Peter.

Comment

20211128_105641.jpg20211128_105618.jpg
            I have tried with all light combinations and no joy. Pictures of the offending switch attached. Thanks

Comment

Random thought. It is obviously an illuminated switch, could it be for the rear fog or reversing light?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, however, the rear fog is operated by an original sierra switch and the reversing light is automatic on selecting gear.

Comment

There is a brown / green wire on the switch and a similar wire is just visible between the ignition switch and the plastic lower cowl. Blue is often used for headlights. You can remove that lower steering column cowl by undoing the three Philips screws in the holes in the bottom of the cowl. That would enable you to see more clearly where the wires go.

Also, on my Hunter there is a group of spade connectors under the nearside of the front apron. They are above the n/s tube that supports the front bumper. On mine those wires supply the headlights main and dip, the sidelights the front indicators and the horn. They are rather exposed to road spray from the wheels. I have had to attend to those several times over the years with Emery paper and switch cleaner to correct faults. Worth checking if you have the same? Peter.

Comment

Another random thought. Could it be a manual switch for a radiator electric fan?
                    Peter H.

Comment

Peter, Thanks for the heads up regarding the spots only operating when the main beam is on. After a little tinkering with the mystery switch and wires a little progress, the switch now illuminates when main beam is selected. A positive development, to be continued...
                      Last edited by graham g; 03-12-21, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Aha! Good progress then. I guess the original owner / builder wanted the option of only main beam, or spots as well then? Peter.

Comment

I had the same spot light issue. I found the relay on the bottom of the n/s bulkhead below the washer bottle. It was switched vi two white wires but the earth side disappeared into the loom so I ran a new earth to the switch and hey presto illumination. If a backup for the fan check that the thermostatic switch is working. Mine wasn’t but a search on eBay for an m16 thermo switch solved the problem on my dohc.

Comment

on my car the switch i couldnt work out what it did turned out to be the interior light switch, it was wired in such a way that it turned the interior light off when the door was left open, when the door was closed it didnt turn the interior light on at all , most strange...
                            4th Marlin owner

Comment

Working...
                            X