Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil Cooler not working

1. #1 Oil Cooler not working 
    club member
    I need guidance! I have recently bought a very early Sportster, 1997, Sierra/granada suspension and BMW engine. Whilst sorting an overheating issue, i notice that at full temp, the oil cooler and pipes remain cold. I assume there is no oil circulating through the cooler. it is a BMW purolator Micronic PM2433 and the take off for the cooler pipes are clearly OEM also. (Pics enclosed) I am after guidance as to how to procede in sorting the issue and also suggestions as to the origin of the engine. It has a casting date of 1984 on the cylinder head and it is a 3.2L so poss a 732i ??

thanks for your help.

Jim
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Oil Cooler not working 
    club member Club Member
    Hi. I think this is a 2.5 litre M30 engine, the car once belonged to a former MOC member Andy Rodgers . Whilst I have no personal experience of M30s, I've had a couple of cars with the later M20 unit and IMHO the oil coolers are unnecessary when fitted in a Marlin.

3. #3 Re: Oil Cooler not working 
    Club Member
    I thought that oil would only flow through cooler once a pre - determined temp had been reached

4. #4 Re: Oil Cooler not working 
    club member
    thanks for that. I tried removing the thermostat from the take off for the cooler at the block. The oil cooler pipes and radiator still remain cold. I filled the rad and pipes to try to ensure no air lock. Any more ideas. I am heatened by Copperleaves11's assertion that oil coolers are not necessry an such a car ( i will not be racing) so if the overheating issue is resolved once it is back on the road, i might just remove the whole thing but i would be nice to have an answer for why it is not working. thanks again.

5. #5 Re: Oil Cooler not working 
    club member Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    I am not familiar with the Sportster but would question fitting an oil cooler with the feed and return pipes at the bottom? I know you say that you have tried to ensure no air locks but it just seems wrong for it to be fitted that way up? This eBay link shows an original part with hoses connected, which may help? Click on the main photo and you can scroll through several views of the part. Peter.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...3+BMW&_sacat=0

6. #6 Re: Oil Cooler not working 
    Quote Originally Posted by the gasman View Post
    I tried removing the thermostat from the take off for the cooler at the block. The oil cooler pipes and radiator still remain cold..
    I suspect that the thermostat will control a sliding valve that re-directs the oil through the oil cooler circuit when it gets hot enough. By removing the thermostat/ sliding valve, the ends of the oil cooler hoses are effectively connected to the same point in the oil circuit, so I would expect zero oil flow, hence those pipes won’t get hot. How about fitting a replacement oil thermostat? Peter.

7. #7 Re: Oil Cooler not working 

I don't recall thinking too much about flow and return but this is the way I installed the oil cooler on my BMW based Sportster.

M20B28 Installation complete by Sabrebuilder,on Flickr

Your oil cooler appears to be in front of the chassis cross member so even if you get the oil circulating you wouldn't get much air flowing through it.
    Maybe you could temporarily flip the oil cooler the other way up just to see if the oil flows?

Hope that helps.......Peter
    Last edited by Peterx; 15-12-2021 at 09:15 PM.

8. #8 Re: Oil Cooler not working 
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterx View Post
    I don't recall thinking too much about flow and return but this is the way I installed the oil cooler on my BMW based Sportster.

M20B28 Installation complete by Sabrebuilder,on Flickr

Your oil cooler appears to be in front of the chassis cross member so even if you get the oil circulating you wouldn't get much air flowing through it.
    Maybe you could temporarily flip the oil cooler the other way up just to see if the oil flows?

Hope that helps.......Peter
    Yes that’s exactly what I would do. BTW gas man, if you want to re-install yours this way I have a pair of brand new J connectors for the oil cooler, surplus to requirements, that you can have for the cost of the postage. Peter.

9. #9 Re: Oil Cooler not working 
    club member
    All helpful stuff. GreyV8 Pete is right re the thermostat moving a sliding valve, and it now makes sense that without it, the oil wil take the path of least resistance and still bypass the fliter. Ill put it back before i forget the correct orientation. As for the cooler being upside down, i thought the same so phoned Mocal who assured me that it made no difference and could be fitted in any orientation. There was no further explanation and it does seem count intuitive. I will do as Peterx suggsts and flip it the other way and see what happens. Exquisite looking car by the way!
    unfortunately all of thhis will have to wait as i have just broken the electrics. I was Attempting a compression test with the HT leads disconected and did not take sufficient care to stop them earthing. A couple of spakes and now nothing. It is as if the battery is disconected. No lights, no instruments ,no nothing. I hope it is a simple fix and not terminal. I cannot find any blown fuse so am worried. Any suggestions there would be appreciated before i face the embarrassment and cost of trailering it to a garage.

Jim

10. #10 Re: Oil Cooler not working 

Quote Originally Posted by the gasman View Post
    No lights, no instruments ,no nothing. I hope it is a simple fix and not terminal. I cannot find any blown fuse so am worried. Any suggestions there would be appreciated before i face the embarrassment and cost of trailering it to a garage.

Jim
    I can't think why, but it sounds like you have blown the main fuse / fuseable link.
    It will be in the main supply cable from the positive battery terminal to the fuse box.

On my Sportster it looks like this (black oblong box in the centre of the photo below) but it could be a different on yours.

Fuseable link by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr