I ought to know this, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ought to know this, but...

I don't. Sierra steering column. Having removed the steering wheel for "works behind the dash" as I near completion (at very long last) I find I've lost the nylock nut that secures the wheel to the column. WHAT SIZE IS IT, please?

Re: I ought to know this, but...

Hi Bill, something at the back of my head is saying M14.

Comment

I am puzzled. My steering wheel is secured with a flanged bolt and some thread locker on the threads. the wheel fits on a tapered hexagonal “spline”. Maybe earlier columns were fitted with nuts? There is a 14mm thread on the steering rack locknuts which need a 22mm spanner. Peter.

Oops! My Hunter column is Scorpio / Granada so it’s different to the Sierra. Doh!
      Last edited by greyV8pete; 03-12-21, 03:07 PM. Reason: Senior moment!

Comment

Hi Pete Sierra models were the same a nut on the early ones and a bolt on later.

Comment

Originally posted by danny_nelson View Post
          Hi Pete Sierra models were the same a nut on the early ones and a bolt on later.
          Thats interesting as I was sure my ‘87 2.0 GL had a bolt. There always seems to be something new to learn with Ford cars!

Comment

Oh Peter....you are SO RIGHT !! Not to mention that one can ask the same question...and get too different answers...both of which could be right. An interesting feature recently discovered...Haynes divided Sierras by date...from memory to March 89 and from 1990 0n....and my donor car was first registered in May 89. So which wiring diagram is right? And with Fords' cavalier attitude to colour coding, probably neither. I digress.
            MY NEXT QUESTION...Sierra switch gear, new wiring harness....In order for my Cabrio wipers Park Function to work, do I need a crossover relay?

Comment

Hi Bill,
              Park has a permanent connection (well live when the ignition is on), but you need a relay for the intermittent wipe to work.
              Amusingly my intermittent wipe only works intermittently, sometimes it just wipes all the time but I have not been bothered to change the relay…
              Chris

Comment

Working...
              X