B series engine and overdrive gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B series engine and overdrive gearbox

Has anyone ever fitted the B series engine, in a Marina based Marlin, with an MGB overdrive gearbox?
    The engine/gearbox combo comes up quite a lot on Ebay and an overdrive box certainly is an attractive proposition.
    I realise it would need a new propshaft made up but would the overdrive box physically fit?

Cheers, Robin

Re: B series engine and overdrive gearbox

It's been done a few times IIRC.
    However, the tunnel & floor will need adjustment to fit around it...it's quite a big (and heavy) unit.
    The other thing to watch out for is the input shaft has a larger diameter than the Marina box, so does not mate to a Marina B unless you are lucky enough to have an engine with the removeable insert in the crank.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Martin, if you check Tech Tips, way back when, there were several useful Pitstop articles on differing gearboxes.

Rgds DC
      Last edited by dcunn; 06-12-21, 02:32 PM.

Comment

It’s too late, but fitting a Ford Type 9, not impossible. No tunnel mods were necessary.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Why not a Mazda box on to the B series .

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
            Why not a Mazda box on to the B series .
            £2665 + VAT Unless you DIY it..!
            Change the way your MGB drives with the Vitesse MGB Gearbox Conversion Kit using the proven Mazda MX-5 Mk3 5 Speed Transmission. The MGB gearbox kit is suitable for all 1962-80 MGBs. Now with a period correct black gear knob the gearbox perfectly complement your B's interior. Read our MG ENTHUSIAST FEATURE.
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

True , but a reconditioned Type 9 will be close to a grand and then you still want adapter etc. A MGB box with overdrive will as already mentioned require the floor /tunnel to be modified and the footwell is already tight on room for the pedals.

Comment

I've successfully done this twice. It's a tight fit but it all works, the overdrive is very handy especially if you have a van axle and
                a low diff. New tunnel, new gearbox mounts, new floors, wiring and new prop. Job done.

Comment

Simples!! if you are a Cornish Wrestler!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornish Wrestler View Post
                    I've successfully done this twice. It's a tight fit but it all works, the overdrive is very handy especially if you have a van axle and
                    a low diff. New tunnel, new gearbox mounts, new floors, wiring and new prop. Job done.
                    Thanks. Not worried about new tunnel and floors as I am making new anyway.
                    I don't suppose you have any pictures?
                    Cheers Robin

Comment

I converted my original Marina gearbox to Triumph 1850 with overdrive. Mod was very straightforward. Unbolted the Marina bell-housing and bolted it straight on to the Triumph box (same first motion shaft). The Triumph gearbox, from what I remember was similar in width to the Marina with only slight modification to the transmission tunnel and shortening of the prop shaft. Not sure if you would be able to find one now but you could try Rimmers.!
                      Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X