Trails car suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trails car suspension

Hi there I have just lifted the suspension on my roadster trails car but are struggling to find longer shock absorbers to fit can anyone help please- Thanks Alex

Re: Trails car suspension

Do you need more travel or just extra length?
    If you just need more length would it not be simpler to make new upper mounts. They are very simple and just bolted to the chassis.
    Cheers Robin

Comment

Re: Trails car suspension

Your question is well timed as I've just done the same job and it's fresh in my mind. I raised the front by 75-80mm and the original (Herald rear) front dampers were at almost their full travel length when the car was in its static state, so I went looking for longer dampers. Based on open and closed lengths I looked for something around 75-80mm longer than the Herald items and Fiat Panda seemed to fit the bit. They were only about £20 a piece from autodoc, but needed modifying - the bottom eyelet is close enough in diameter to fit the marina bottom damper bolt but has a wider tube insert which needed milling off at both ends (or you could grind it back). The top eyelet is a little too narrow but that can be cured by a thick washer either side, and the hole is too small so needed drilling out to 7/16. If you go for Panda items avoid the Munroe versions as they have a large diameter top eyelet which won't fit within the top mounting bracket (as I found out to my expense...) - but I'm currently considering how to convert these to fit the rear which has also been raised.

HTH

Gerry

Comment

Working...
      X