X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-starting problem

Originally posted by angusgrooby View Post
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/174190...2763226027010/

Hopefully the link works but if it dose not search Bestek Crawley on Facebook he has a really interesting video on how bad accuspark are!
    Thanks Angus, I was struggling to find the group. I've asked to join.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
      Hiya

There not all bad, I fitted the AccuSpark Electronic Conversion Kit three years ago to my Marina based car and haven't touched it since. Works fine.

I have heard that some people have fitted the replacement dizzy and have had problems.

Just a note, on the Pinto engined cars, the red lead must go to the fuse box or ignition NOT the coil.

Adrian
      That's really interesting. My car has an Accuspark unit fitted in 2014. It is coupled to a blue (ballast) coil. Both the red and black leads go to the coil.

When I changed the coil a while back, the Accuspark instructions said the red lead should go on the ignition side of the ballast resitor, but I haven't been able to find it (maybe a ballast wire, I'm told), so I have left it connected as per the original.

Where on the fuse box should it be connected? I might give that a try after sorting the other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
        I have seen similar parts as used in the distributor Accuspark kits on Aliexpress. I think they are all made in China and Accuspark are just adding their name to them.

It would probably be better to fit an Accuspark kit to a Bosch distributor rather than replacing the distributor as the Chinese replacement won't be as good a an original Bosch.

"After a couple of tries it fired up, but it was quite rough and even when the water temperature gauge was on 80°c I needed the choke out to stop the engine stalling."

From what you have described, your particular problem appears to be a possible airleak around either the inlet manifold, base of the carb or either end of the servo pipe.

Have you also checked your idle jet in the carb to ensure it's not blocked?

None of the above, but I will add them to the list. Thanks.

Comment

The compresson tester I ordered arrived tonight, so I checked the engine.

Cylinders 2 & 3 are only registering 20psi, which according to the instructions indicates a failed gasket or cracked cylinder head.

Looks like it is more serious than I had hoped.

The Haynes manual states I need a special tool to remove the cylinder head bolts, but doesn't specify what this is. Can anyone tell me? It looks like it might be a torx head.

Comment

Hi Alan and just to add to the problem there are two different Patten head bolts best to take the rocker cover of and count the spline's I have the torx tools for the early bolts which are non stretch type bolts, if you have the same bolts as mine you are welcome to borrow them failing that I am sure you can buy them from ebay.
            Drop me a email with your number if you need any help as rebuilt my pinto last year fingers crossed you don't need to do a full rebuild.

Comment

I removed the head of my Pinto with a standard Torx bit. As I recall the the bolts must be replaced.

Just checked Haynes and it says
              “Up to early 1984, splined type cylinder head bolts were used, and from early 1984, size T55 Torx bolts were used. Torx type bolts must always be renewed after slackening."
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by angusgrooby View Post
                Hi Alan, before fitting the Accuspark distributor look on the pinto engine facebook page there has been some really bad failures of accuspark distributor's resulting in the engines having to be rebuilt.
                Yes take a look at the turbosport forum, they are not well thought of. I think there are alternative suppliers who are recommended or at least get decent reviews. Have you put a timing light on it to check the timing? If the dizzy is playing up the timing mark would be jumping all over the place. This might sound odd but I have had a one off problem in the past where the earth connection to the base plate failed and it caused similar problems so may be worth a check.
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Re: Low compression readings on 2 cylinders .

Before removing the head check that the valve clearances are not set too tight as that would hold the valve open reducing the compression.

Have you also added oil to each bore & checked whether the compression improves noticeably, indicating piston ring issues?
                  Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 20-01-22, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
                    I removed the head of my Pinto with a standard Torx bit. As I recall the the bolts must be replaced.

Just checked Haynes and it says
                    “Up to early 1984, splined type cylinder head bolts were used, and from early 1984, size T55 Torx bolts were used. Torx type bolts must always be renewed after slackening."
                    Paul
                    Thanks Paul, I'll start taking the car apart this evening, all being well. Then I can see what type of bolts I have.

The engine is 1979 vintage, but it was rebuilt around 2000, so they might have changed bolt type.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                      Yes take a look at the turbosport forum, they are not well thought of. I think there are alternative suppliers who are recommended or at least get decent reviews. Have you put a timing light on it to check the timing? If the dizzy is playing up the timing mark would be jumping all over the place. This might sound odd but I have had a one off problem in the past where the earth connection to the base plate failed and it caused similar problems so may be worth a check.
                      Thanks Andy. I've sent the Accuspark unit back now that it appears to be compression related, rather than ignition. I'll definitely look at alternative before I purchase again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
                        Re: Low compression readings on 2 cylinders .

Before removing the head check that the valve clearances are not set too tight as that would hold the valve open reducing the compression.

Have you also added oil to each bore & checked whether the compression improves noticeably, indicating piston ring issues?
                        I haven't, but as it is two adjacent cylinders with the same compression reading, I assumed the instruction sheet would be correct when it stated gasket or cracked head.

Comment

Bonnet and rocker cover removed tonight.

IMG_3048.jpg

This is what the bolts looks like:

Cylinder Head Bolt.jpg

I assume the splined bolts would have the "teeth" on the outside making these Torx 55?

Comment

That must be a spline. This is what a T55 looks like.
                            Paul

20220121_082457.jpg

Comment

An unrelated observation. I've seen many comments advising against wrapping cast exhaust manifolds. I have no expert knowledge or experience one way or the other but it might be worth further research.

Comment

Yes it is spline so you may reuse the screws with appropriate tightening procedure. The procedure differs for the two types of screws. If it is what I suspect it is there is no need to touch the manifolds. See picture for my experience back in 2018.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X