Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-starting problem

Originally posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
    An unrelated observation. I've seen many comments advising against wrapping cast exhaust manifolds. I have no expert knowledge or experience one way or the other but it might be worth further research.
    It has all been binned. By the time I had managed to unwrap it my arms were covered in itchy fibreglass hairs.

Not going there again.

Comment

Originally posted by romeks44 View Post
      Yes it is spline so you may reuse the screws with appropriate tightening procedure. The procedure differs for the two types of screws. If it is what I suspect it is there is no need to touch the manifolds. See picture for my experience back in 2018.

Thanks. What do you mean by "no need to touch manifolds" please?

I was going to take the inlet manifold off complete with all hoses and carbs, then hang it on the side whilst I worked on the cylinder head.

Comment

1.jpg

Spline drives borrowed from a work colleague.
        Tomorrows tasks:
        1. Drain coolant.
        2. Remove inlet manifold etc.
        3. Remove cylinder head.

Comment

Originally posted by nightsurfer View Post
          Thanks. What do you mean by "no need to touch manifolds" please?
          Hmm… probably nothing special. It must have been in a moment of darkness covering my mind/memory. Maybe was thinking of re-checking valves clearing or retightening the head screws?
          Sorry for this misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by romeks44 View Post
            Hmm… probably nothing special. It must have been in a moment of darkness covering my mind/memory. Maybe was thinking of re-checking valves clearing or retightening the head screws?
            Sorry for this misinformation.
            Ok. Thanks.

Comment

Possibly too late.
              Those are standard 6 spline Torx drivers.
              The bolt in your pic is a 12 spline non standard, maybe a Ford special tool?

Cast manifolds do not respond will with wrapping. It increases the likelihood of cracking.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

12 spline are readily available, probably cheaper than ford specials!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
                  12 spline are readily available, probably cheaper than ford specials!
                  Not in the OP’s photo of a six spline kit of drivers, which was my specific point.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

My poor photo I'm afraid Steve.
                    The lefthand ones are 12 spline, the right-hand are Torx.
                    Head is off and thankfully only a gasket required, which I will order this afternoon.

Gasket.jpg

Comment

It looks like the bores and pistons are in excellent order.

According to this Haynes web site
                      Head gaskets sit between a car engine's cylinder head and block – discover all about it (and how to avoid a blown head gasket) with this expert guide for DIY mechanics.

“The most common cause of a blown head gasket is engine overheating.”

I think problems with cooling lead to the demise of my own Pinto. Possibly, due to hot spots caused by flow problems through the Marlin’s unique cooling system. It might be worth trying to clear the waterways as much as possible and check the pump.
                      Paul

PS: Very much enjoying this detective story.

Comment

Thanks Ed.
                        It's been running fine. Only gets just above 90 degrees when stuck in traffic and then rarely hits 100 degrees.
                        I've also been running with cooler plugs.
                        I was wondering if there was something I could use to flush the muck out of the cooling system before refilling with the correct coolant.
                        Glad you're enjoying my takes of woe. Hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel now.

Comment

I was wondering if there was something I could use to flush the muck out of the cooling system before refilling with the correct coolant.
                          Glad you're enjoying my takes of woe. Hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel now
                          I flushed my Roadster out about 8 times with a large bucket under the detached rad & hoses. I then used dishwasher cleaner from Aldi iirc £1.75 for a pack of 2 bottles and just used 1 of them . Allowed the engine to get hot and drove it a few miles and that removed further brown stuff that was in the cooling system.

Comment

Great idea. Thank you. I'll call into my Aldi tomorrow on the way home and see if I can pick some up.

Comment

Head gasket replaced yesterday. The car is now running but I have to advance the timing way in advance of the timing marks.
                              I'm thinking that if the (new) rotor arm is incorrect, turning the distributor would bring it back but the timing would be correct.
                              So I'm wondering if I've got the camshalf one tooth out (although it looked right) so moving it anti-clockwise will correct it.
                              Or, might it be the new inlet manifold gasket letting in air?
                              Hopefully tomorrow when I have a free evening I will get to try my theories.

Comment

I have vague recollections off somehow sticking a test dial indicator (TDI) through a plug hole to be certain I had Top Dead Centre (TDC). Then checking the timing marks were correct. I can’t quite remember how I checked the camshaft pulley. Isn’t there a hard to see mark seen through a hole in the pulley?

You can Totally Do This (DTD) – Living The Dream (LTD)
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X