If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Today? It took me over two months... It is going to be a long post...
    I know that if it ain't broke, don't fix it... but it broke, just a little.

It was late October as I realized that it is time to put the hardtop on for the winter. My wipers were tending to stuck in the off position but it was not a big deal driving open top... but with the hardtop on it is not easy to grab out to make them move further.
    So let's fix this. The left (in my case drivers side) wiper axle fixing has developed a stress crack. Easy job... once you get acces. So out got middle console, dashboard and half of the loom (probably even 60% by weight as the loom was not adjusted once installed and just squeezed behind the console). The loom was always a pain in the... so I took the rest of it out to clear it.
    Just a few days after (before any real work has started) my son announced that he is going to marry his girlfriend - in about two months. Chances to get the Berlinetta drivable by 6th of January were minimal. The GRP part with wiper mounts has been reinforced (1), but the axle was looking bad as well as the wiper thread. So "new" axle (used one) was sourced to find that the ball joint size differs so I had to replace the ball from the old one (2). Axle replaced but wiper operation not verified due to no loom installed (3).
    As we are at the wipers, there was only one (normal) speed working and I always dreamed of the intermittent option. A 3-level intermittent box purchased, many hours spent on combining it with ford-electric-logics (self parking), adjusting the pcb, adding a diode, extending to 4 level = normal, connecting hi-speed to the switch stalk (4). And of course incorporating the box into the console.
    The rubber on Rubbolite rear (rrrr...) lamps was perished so it was good time to install the Britax replacement. These lamps are fixed to the rear wings that in turn were cracked (after direct contact with a tyre-4-pack during track day...). Glass fibre, resin, fiber, resin ... fixed (5). New lamps installed (6). To facilitate connection-disconnection of lamps and wings and also to cover the connector and lamp fixing/cabling a shield has been made and fixing for it (7).
    Ok, back to the loom. Tape out, finding ends (sometimes more than two) of each cable, labeling.
    BTW the tow bar socket - this is the right time to upgrade from 7 to 13 pin. BTW(2) the tow bar bolts looked rusty - replaced with stainless steel (I could not resist - have polished the heads) (8). And repainted the towbar. Made new stainless fixings for reversing and forg lamps - old aluminium were causing corrosion around (9).
    My fog and reversing lamps are stainless steel (new in 2017 from Demon Tweeks - was 20 now 40 GBP) unfortunately just the casing is stainless (quite thin) and not water tight - as a result the internal reflecting/bulb fixing part was severely corroded - cleaned, stabilized, painted, put together (10).
    In the meantime a fuse and relay socket modules were purchased, and cables, connectors etc.
    I was waving from one small job to another being distracted by more and more things that "have to be done first"
    Under the bonnet - the Cortina heater was replaced a few years ago by a smaller fan/heater module but using the old air distributor part. Yes it was delivering warm air but was far from optimal. New "housing" for the heater + new hoses, clamps, fixings. (In-cabin linkage to be done later) (11). Battery location replaced (12). Sider turn signal repeaters - left was missing glass (plastic) right one cracked = replaced with new Peugeot repeaters with the hooks cut off (13).
    As the main lamps developed some corrosion new ones were ordered - flat glas with the reflector acting as the lens like the look) - replaced (14).
    While working at the back... top shock absorbers mountings were covered with oil bottles by one of the previous owners/builders... made aluminium boxes (sourced from scraped analytical equipment chassis), on the right side covered with black carpet while the other side left uncovered as it is not easily visible - have a lockable compartment there (15).
    Middle December started with the new loom. Do you know how to eat a elephant? It's easy just a bite at a time. Same here a cable at a time. Measure twice, check both ends, strip ends, crimp connectors or terminals, solder (just to be sure), on some reused cables I had to clean the ends with a fiber pen, sometimes put on heat-shrinking tube, and repeat with the next one...
    I have reused most of the original loom as to keep the cable colours. New circuits or severely damaged cables were outsourced from a Volvo loom I had in my garage (that's another story I can tell you in a Pub some day). Also the thick battery cables are now from a Volvo.
    I have booked my holiday 20th December to 10th January and used most of the time in the garage. Even the night 4th-5th was busy - keeping in mind the wedding date of 6th.
    Anyway on The Day my son was able to drive the Belinetta from our home to her home to church to party place and I was able to drive her back home. Without any problems despite snowfall (and non working wipers).
    Then I had to work (real money making - not hobby money spending) again but... two days late my daughter (and wife) got a positive COVID test so I'm on quarantine. Guess where I'm separating myself? Yes, in the garage. Wipers feed cable installed. New tee-pieces installed in the heater tubings. Electronic thermostat for radiator fan leaked smoke and died - replaced.
    Nose cone mesh repainted (16).
    Counting the loom as one it is 17. Oh, NO. The regular relays fit neatly into the new modular sockets but the turn signal and hazard relays were too big to fit neary and I had no desire to rewire the cables on the sockets. Tried to buy new smaller ones without success. Opened the units, grinded the base and pcb inside, cut the cover diagonally and grinded to size, welded the plastic covers again, finishing and it fits!!! (18). And I have cleaned the KnN filter, but oil change still has to be done...
    As for now everything seems to work. (OK - the fuel tank sender has to be matched to the gauge somehow).
    I still haven't managed how put pictures within the text. So here it comes all together . If something is not clear please ask.
    Bests regards
    Roman
    Attached Files

Re: If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Just forgot. There are two more:
    Number plate lamps - the bulbs wer not hold firmly so were replaced with a piece of LED band sticked on made to measure alu plates.
    Horn - used to be on a pushbutton on the dashboard and it never was at hand once needed. Metal ring on a plastic support was sourced from another expensive analytical instrument scraped by company I work for. This was glued on the bottom part of the steering wheel boss and a spring contact was made to pickup the signal.
    Last picture is for the previous post - one of the "shrunk" relays and boot view for shock absorber covers.
    Made over 100 crimped connections and used over 100 meters "mohair" tape...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by romeks44; 21-01-22, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Very interesting article. Nothing like a deadline to get things done. Presume you have heat in garage?
      Liz

Comment

A real Marlin man and his project, well done Roman, great to see such a story

Rgds DC

Comment

Serious respect Romeks!

Comment

Great job Roman. Can we see a picture of the wedding in the next magazine?
            Paul

Comment

Thank you All for the nice comments.
              Yes, I do have an oven in the garage. As it is a very small one it is hardly efficient to heat up the cold garage. This time it was better as spending much time there I kept the fire all the time and didn’t let the garage to cool down totally.
              Regarding the wedding pictures I will provide some once I get them.
              Unfortunately I haven’t taken any pictures myself as it was dark, cold and snowing and I had other duties than to wait for them to drive of from the church. It is typical that the parents are welcoming the young couple with bread and salt (and yes, a glass of vodka too) at home (wedding party place). That’s why we had to be there first. Later we learned that there was no need to hurry. As they left the church there was a cue of people waiting to take a picture with the car and they haven’t got any priority… The church is at te Warsaw old town so it’s a really busy place.
              There was a professional photographer but they will not release any pictures before they are ready… so we have to wait patiently.

Today I have installed a voltage regulator (10V) into the fuel gauge circuit. Will let you know how it is performing now. Previously it was reading full unless almost empty with direct 12V feed. With an 5V regulator (that I had at hand) sender in top position was showing 1/2 so now I hope to be quite accurate.
              Regards
              Roman
              Last edited by romeks44; 20-01-22, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Better late than never...
                Here is the wedding picture.
                BTW The 10V regulator did the job and the fuel gauge works perfect.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting picture. Car and bride and groom look great. Happier times then.
                  Liz

Comment

Working...
                  X