Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just joined (Mk1 Herald roadster in Scotland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just joined (Mk1 Herald roadster in Scotland)

Soon to be in Scotland at least.

I've just bought my first Marlin (first kit car) from a lovely gentleman called Tony, and it's soon to be transported up from the midlands to me near Edinburgh.

It does seem to be known to the club, a couple of the 'history of' photos include its burly box section spare wheel carrier and the light metallic green paint. There's a little bit of electrical work to do to get it back on the road, but not too much. I have some experience with older vehicles due to running series landrovers for the last 10 years, but I fancied something that sits a little bit closer to bedrock. And taking the roof off the landrover was a joy but a pain.

Looking forward to chatting and hopefully meeting up with folks before too long!

Steve

Re: Just joined (Mk1 Herald roadster in Scotland)

Welcome to the forum and the Club. Load of fantastic info here and friendly folks for advice if needed. However, from the sounds of it you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck in having it back on the road for the arrival (hopefully) of decent weather.

Comment

You might like to look at this :

Here you can keep up to date and help support club members who are currently building or renovating their cars.

Rgds Dave Cunnington

Comment

Well that's put a smile on my face! Thank you so much. I shall enjoy a perusal through that thread. It's still in good nick, and now I know who to bother with questions

Comment

Welcome from another mk1 owner - also with a herald engine - DM me if you need any reference photos, as there all a bit different!

Rich
          Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
          Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Great, thanks! I'm hoping it'll be delivered to me tomorrow, very exciting. The main thing I've been looking into with the mk1s is the lack of side louvres - the look isn't as good, but more importantly do you find any overheating problems? Mine only has the mechanical fan.

Comment

I fitted an electric fan in front off of a GT6 (!!) it’s controlled by a thermostat in the top rad hose. So there’s adequate cooling, but yes under bonnet temperature is not as cool as I’d like. To be fair it never has overheated even on a hot day in traffic but occasionally it’s run a bit lumpy.

Of course matters are made worse by the carbs being directly above the exhaust manifold.

Possible solutions I had in mind are..

Cool air duct for the carbs from the front of the car.
              Wrapped manifold
              Ceramic coated manifold
              Engine bay fan
              Heat shield
              Bonnet Louvre’s or side panel Louvre’s

But TBH, always had something more pressing to do as it’s only an occasional issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
                I fitted an electric fan in front off of a GT6 (!!) it’s controlled by a thermostat in the top rad hose. So there’s adequate cooling, but yes under bonnet temperature is not as cool as I’d like. To be fair it never has overheated even on a hot day in traffic but occasionally it’s run a bit lumpy.

Of course matters are made worse by the carbs being directly above the exhaust manifold.

Possible solutions I had in mind are..

Cool air duct for the carbs from the front of the car.
                Wrapped manifold
                Ceramic coated manifold
                Engine bay fan
                Heat shield
                Bonnet Louvre’s or side panel Louvre’s

But TBH, always had something more pressing to do as it’s only an occasional issue.
                Cool air duct from the front gets my first vote every time. Saw a Westfield on a rolling road a while ago. When the bonnet was opened the BHP reading went up about 5 BHP. Had to be seen to believe it. Heat shields over the exhausts worth doing too! Peter.

Comment

I agree Peter!

I forgot to add , I also fitted an expansion tank to the rad overflow (from car builder solutions) that sorted the occasional loss of coolant I got in traffic. Well worth doing .. it was the non pressurised type.

Comment

..............and don't forget that you need to block around the rad so that ALL the air goes through it, not around it

Comment

I fixed the indicators and took it for a spin yesterday. Love it - feels sprightly and eager. Great driving position, apart from in traffic. I’ll keep working on a few more electrical bits and see to wiring the overdrive in.

Drove back in the dark while it was snowing - maybe I’m happy with the solid sides and keep the heat coming through the cabin…

8AAB02B5-3854-4CB1-BA2E-623331371615.jpg

Comment

Looks very tidy ! Nice colour too ..

Comment

Working...
                        X