Steering rack angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack angle

Hi all, I've slackened the steering rack bolts on my Marina-based roadster as I was hoping to change the angle of the rack by rotating it slightly forwards. This is to raise the angle of the shaft where the lower column UJ attaches in order to raise the column slightly to give more clearance from my new 4-branch exhaust manifold (Pinto engine so exhaust on driver's side...!).
    It seems reluctant to rotate so I've not forced it. I've checked my old Marina manual and I can't work out whether this should be possible i.e. simply rotate and then re-clamp. Or is the rack somehow keyed into the mounting clamps somehow so only one angle is possible, hence I'd have to shim the back of the clamp against the chassis plate to change the angle?

Re: Steering rack angle

At each end of the rack tube adjacent to the mountings there is a D shaped plate that is part of the rack outer tube and has a flat that registers against the chassis mounting. You would need to remove the rack and file off enough of the D plate edge to enable the rack to turn. Alternative would be to make up a couple of thin wedges to pack the rack to required angle.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
      At each end of the rack tube adjacent to the mountings there is a D shaped plate that is part of the rack outer tube and has a flat that registers against the chassis mounting. You would need to remove the rack and file off enough of the D plate edge to enable the rack to turn. Alternative would be to make up a couple of thin wedges to pack the rack to required angle.
      I would suggest that it would be good engineering practice to make the wedges as Ben suggests, but then permanently fix them to the chassis points. That way you are not modifying a standard component. That would make a future ‘off the shelf’ rack replacement simple and safer by avoiding the need for non standard modification by someone unfamiliar with the reason for the original modification. Peter.

Comment

[[COLOR="#00FFFF"]COLOR="#FF8C00"][[FONT=Arial Black]FONT=Arial]
        Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
        I would suggest that it would be good engineering practice to make the wedges as Ben suggests, but then permanently fix them to the chassis points. That way you are not modifying a standard component. That would make a future ‘off the shelf’ rack replacement simple and safer by avoiding the need for non standard modification by someone unfamiliar with the reason for the original modification. Peter.
        Wedges would have the effect of moving the rack backwards - may not be a good idea

Comment

Working...
        X