This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlinetta sierra battery

Can somebody please advise me what battery fits on the small shelf under the bonnet for a sierra based car please.
    Last edited by terryrscott; 10-03-22, 10:35 PM.
    4th Marlin owner

Re: Berlinetta sierra battery

Photos pretty much self-explanatory, I replaced the previous battery with a Bosch S4-004, same size, terminal locations etc. Just slightly too tall meant I had to grind away a little bit of the piano-hinge in the middle of the bonnet, but the shelf and holding clamp etc. fitted no problem.

Mine is a Hunter, so I’m not sure the bonnet design is quite the same as a Berli, but I have the 2.3 litre DOHC Sierra/Scorpio/Galaxy/Transit engine and it cranks over fine with a battery of this spec.
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

My Sierra based Berly has a self mounted on the front of the bulkhead/firewall, presentation of batteries here a la frog is different to the UK, it is a 54Ah unit, no other information visible, but the size is 21cm long x 17cm wide x 19cm tall, it is ample turning the engine over, a 2litre sohc pinto, in the depths of winter, slightly warmer than in the UK I suppose but not much. The battery of this size fills the tray, without mods, I suppose it might be possible to fit a larger unit. And also because the heater is at the back of the bulkhead shelf I don't think a battery could be mounted there.
      If you want a pic or two let me know!
      Last edited by Tony Stott; 11-03-22, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kahawi View Post
        Photos pretty much self-explanatory, I replaced the previous battery with a Bosch S4-004, same size, terminal locations etc. Just slightly too tall meant I had to grind away a little bit of the piano-hinge in the middle of the bonnet, but the shelf and holding clamp etc. fitted no problem.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12725[/ATTACH]

Mine is a Hunter, so I’m not sure the bonnet design is quite the same as a Berli, but I have the 2.3 litre DOHC Sierra/Scorpio/Galaxy/Transit engine and it cranks over fine with a battery of this spec.
        thanks very much , the berlinetta with a pinto engine is a very different layout, but thanks for the response
        4th Marlin owner

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
          My Sierra based Berly has a self mounted on the front of the bulkhead/firewall, presentation of batteries here a la frog is different to the UK, it is a 54Ah unit, no other information visible, but the size is 21cm long x 17cm wide x 19cm tall, it is ample turning the engine over, a 2litre sohc pinto, in the depths of winter, slightly warmer than in the UK I suppose but not much. The battery of this size fills the tray, without mods, I suppose it might be possible to fit a larger unit. And also because the heater is at the back of the bulkhead shelf I don't think a battery could be mounted there.
          If you want a pic or two let me know!
          thanks for reply , thats helpful, i know what i am looking for now.
          4th Marlin owner

Comment

the photo in pinto electronic ignition gives a good view of the battery, maybe dave can give you some battery details?
            Last edited by Tony Stott; 12-03-22, 07:01 AM.

Comment

The battery I use is a Varta blue dynamic.
              544 402 044 3132 it's 44 Ah cold test current 440 amps.
              It' given me good performance even with a 40 year old starter motor
              and just fits on the tray under the heater pipe.
              Available space will depend on tray installation when built. One of the joys of kit cars.
              Hope this helps.
              Daveg

Comment

thanks, i shall check that out
                4th Marlin owner

Comment

thanks dave, i shall check that info out on my car.
                  4th Marlin owner

Comment

thanks tony, i wonder if your car is LHD which could make the layout on the bulkhead/firewall differant, but its good gen , thanks very much
                    4th Marlin owner

Comment

No, rhd -- i might be able to take a photo later, difficult to access at the moment! ;-)

Comment

Might seem like a stupid idea, why not measure the space and visit a motor factors with the dimensions. If they are any good then they can help you get one that fits in the space. if they can't/won't help don't use them again!

Comment

+ ! Thats how i found mine!

Comment

In case you are unable to find a friendly local supplier:-
                            If you ignore the "enter reg" field on the Alpha Batteries website and select "Battery Type" you can scroll down through loads of differing car battery designs which give dimensions, layouts and terminal details - might be tedious and take some time to find something suitable but could save purchasing something that does not fit and at least you could check the dimensions of likely contenders! John
                            (I can recommend Alpha - I have been pleased with their service several times. I have no other association with the concern)

Comment

Working...
                            X