Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q219BAL Red Berlinetta, did you own it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Q219BAL Red Berlinetta, did you own it ?

Hi Terry
    I think I have asked this before but not sure you answered it.
    Have you done a compression check?
    You talk about the engine being really stiff to turn without plugs in. This does not sound right to me and could point to possible bent valves, incorrect valve clearance, warped cam shaft.
    You say you got back firing which also points to the valves being open when the plugs fire. Could be timing but could be valves not closing effectively.
    Another option for eliminating fuel issues, apart from easy start, is to put petrol into a hand pump spray bottle that has a fine spray and squirt that straight into the carb trumpets.
    Do you have a carb vacuum / airflow meter for balancing? If so what airflow readings are you getting? If you put your hand over the carb inlet trumpets do you feel a strong vacuum?
    To help the engine turn over better try taking out 2 sparkplugs and see if it will run on 2 cylinders.
    Jon
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Whats the possibility of the head being skimmed too much together with a high lift cam and the piston contacting the valves. I think I'd have the head off at this stage and see if it turns over by hand . Shouldn't be more than a couple of hours work.

Comment

I agree with A_Hogg, plus, I think it is an engine out job to check/strip it all. Why did the original owner dump it after spending a lot of money on it? My son rebuilt a 1600 crossflow after having the crank ground, head skimmed and block rebored. Started fine, after a few minutes no oil pressure. messed about for a couple of days, lost his rag and chucked it in a corner. A year later I got it and rang the machine shop. It turned out to have oversised O/D main bearings. New oversised main shells and it ran like dream. Some Ford main bearings were bored o/s because of a casting fault.
        P.S. Maybe the cam timing is out? Good luck!

Comment

hi jon, thanks for the reply, so after a few peoples suggestions i am going to do a compression test today if only to prove to myself there are not some bent valves or holes in the cylinder head etc, trying to get a spray into the carbs is difficult because they are so near the wing but i am going to put fresh petrol on the carburettor bulbs without the fuel pump on sucking old fuel in and see what the results are, thanks very much i really do appreciate your suggestions..watch ths space
          4th Marlin owner

Comment

sorry i forgot to answer the last bit of your message, no i dont have a flow meter and i dont get the impression much sucking is happening, more like blowing, would that be camshaft belt timing out ? today i am picking up a standard cambelt pulley with timing marks on it, when i rest the camshaft belt timing from scratch it may turn to sucking more , hopefully
            4th Marlin owner

Comment

thanks, dave yes this could well turn into a engine strip, today is pressure test day followed putting a standard cam belt pulley in tomorrow so i can more accurately get the cam belt timing right, in this case i have 60 psi oil pressure while trying to start, so thats ok.... watch this space
              4th Marlin owner

Comment

yes , that is on the list, something could well be wrong structurally inside the engine, it does indicate exactly what you say,,,, maybe after i have fitted the correct cam belt pulley with proper timing marks,,, watch this space
                4th Marlin owner

Comment

Originally posted by terryrscott View Post
                  yes , that is on the list, something could well be wrong structurally inside the engine, it does indicate exactly what you say,,,, maybe after i have fitted the correct cam belt pulley with proper timing marks,,, watch this space
                  hi so this is to everybody, FOUND THE NO STARTING PROBLEM AT LONG LAST< YAHOO !!! but its bad news , the compressions are as follows no4 35, no3 30, no2 20, number 1 zero, , i put my finger in the plug hole whilst cranking on the starter and its not even a strong draught so its head off to start with , cant be bothered for the time being , have another car to work on which is more rewarding but at least i have made progress, thanks to all of you, you pointed me in the right direction which is hard to do by remote control, thanks again.
                  4th Marlin owner

Comment

Not what any of us here wished for , but at least you have your answer or some of it. Good luck with the rebuild when you get round to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X