Temperature gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature gauge

Hi, i have a 2l sierra engined roadster with smiths gauges. The temperature gauge isn't reading where I'd like. Normal running temperature is reading at about 3/4 deflection not 1/2. Its an electric bimetal strip type. Bizarre idea? Anyway, any suggestions how to adjust? There are two slotted adjusters on the back. I'd happily change sender unit if anyone has information on what to change it to?

Re: Temperature gauge

If you didn't build the car and therefore know what went into it perhaps a little investigation would be useful first. It sounds like either:

The gauge and temperature sender are mismatched. I am pretty sure Smiths gauges all used the same sensor but a bit of googling should confirm that.
    Either the gauge and / or sensor are faulty.
    The gauge should be supplied by a 10 volt regulated supply. There is normally a funny little voltage regulator somewhere in the dashboard loom. This may be faulty or even missing.

You could mess arround for ages trying to find the problem. Depending on how desperate you are to solve it, and how much you are prepared to spend!, the simplest solution may be to swap the gauge and sender (and possibly voltage regulator) for a known working setup.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

You aught to check the engine temperature independently too. It might be the engine is running hot. Maybe a faulty thermostat or fuel mix.

Paul

Comment

Definitely try a new sender first. This is exactly what happened to me when I did an engine swop (I even have a note that the gauge was reading 3/4s!). I had bought a new sender but it wasn't matched. I have a note that the correct sender (Ford Crossflow to Smiths gauge) came from Holden and cost approx £20 in 2014. I've just checked and it was Holden part number 070.016 for a Ford Crossflow block (threaded 1/8' NPTF). I've now had a look on the Burton website (i bought the mismatched sender from Burton) and it's not clear what is the correct thread for the sender on a 2 litre 'Pinto' - so do your research before spending your money! PS - What I'm really trying to say is that the standard Ford sender WILL be a mismatch to a Smiths gauge so, if the sender has never been changed, that's your problem IMHO.
        Last edited by AndrewKB; 22-03-22, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replys. As an update. I've had radiator recored, today should be it's first potter out, a high of 6degrees, just the right sort of day for english open top motoring.
          I attempted fitting a new thermostat, this'll require a new housing, burtons have a very shiny one for sale! So much for ford parts being cheap.
          I like the idea of swapping gauge, I've always liked the look of dual gauges, yay more shiney stuff.
          Interesting that Andrew had a similar fault with his gauge, hmm, £20 to probably keep her original? Its tempting as car is a ykc small volume production.
          Off out now into 2degree weather to play with antifreeze on a concrete floor, ah well at least it's filling up so should be warmer job than emptying coolant.

Comment

I do know that a Triumph Mk1 2000 sender (I think..) will fit in a Ford Cologne V6 and works well. Don't know if same thread in Pinto/Kent engine, but probably cheaper than a Holden one. You can sort of get it working with an electronic regulator (e.g. LM317) set at about 6-7 volts, but it isn't very linear. It may be enough for an indication though. No good for fuel gauge, unless you are desperate !

Comment

Working...
            X