E5 Petrol: Buying for the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E5 Petrol: Buying for the future

I have a 2.0 Fiat TC from a 1983 Argenta in my Roadster. I use a lead replacement additive in it; due to the recent pandemic (& some other reasons) I have left it in the garage up on blocks this last 2yrs. I hope to get to grips with various maintenance plans (new timing belt, handbrake cable, cold air feed, new thermo-switch for the electric fan, resolving a gas leak at the flange of 4:2 exhaust ... etc etc

However, to add to the gloom, I figure it has to now run only on E5 petrol; which of course is the most expensive. I have no idea how much that costs per litre atm - I don't visit petrol stations as my other cars run on B100 Biodiesel which I home brew for under 40p/litre... In these increasingly belt tightening days - I'm beginning to wonder whether it would be prudent to invest in some E5 and fill the tank (2 x 5lt cans at a time) and maybe fill all the spare 5lt cans I can find. I say this particularly in the light of the Chancellors' 5p fuel duty drop today... Shall I fill my boots while I can afford it!

So - how much are you guys buying E5 for these days?

Re: E5 Petrol: Buying for the future

From what i can find online, it looks like E5 is about 12p/lt more than E10. I'll probably be paying £1.80/litre. That's about £70 to fill up... Horrendous expletive omitted....

Comment

Argentina use a higher Ethenal content today than Europe (E25?). I wonder if that was true in 1983?
      Paul

Comment

Be very wary of that lead additive - My generation (boomers) and half the next were poisoned as children
        The brain damage never heals
        In our peak crime years we doubled the murder rate
        Today we bring you Trump and BREXIT

Leaded petrol is nasty stuff

Comment

Be very wary of storing significant quantities of excess fuel, especially if you are intending to use some homemade tank, if anything happened I would expect your house insurance and most likely also your car insurance wouldn't want to know.
          2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

I have read an article that states Castrol valve master plus not only acts as lead replacement but also( kills) Ethenal . So works out cheaper to add valve master plus to E10.
            might be worth checking out for yourself.

Comment

Le substitut du plomb n'est pas le plomb. J'utilise volontiers les win dans mon pinto 2l de 1986.

Comment

Originally posted by quinzebilles View Post
                Le substitut du plomb n'est pas le plomb. J'utilise volontiers les win dans mon pinto 2l de 1986.
                I think the English translation is:
                The lead substitute is not lead. I gladly use Win in my pinto 2L of 1986.

Comment

I just bought E 5 fuel from our local Morrisons in Evesham for £1.69 a litre. Their super unleaded is cheaper than diesel!

Comment

Apparently Castrol valve master plus contains( Etha Guard )which is an Ethanol stabiliser .

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
                      Be very wary of that lead additive - My generation (boomers) and half the next were poisoned as children
                      The brain damage never heals
                      In our peak crime years we doubled the murder rate
                      Today we bring you Trump and BREXIT

Leaded petrol is nasty stuff
                      As far as I know... Lead replacement additive doesn't actually contain lead.

Comment

Originally posted by wiggiesworld View Post
                        Be very wary of storing significant quantities of excess fuel, especially if you are intending to use some homemade tank, if anything happened I would expect your house insurance and most likely also your car insurance wouldn't want to know.
                        Filling the car fuel tank & the standard green 5lt containers designed for keeping petrol in them wouldn't be risky... It's not like I'm going to store it in a barrel

Comment

Originally posted by danny_nelson View Post
                          I have read an article that states Castrol valve master plus not only acts as lead replacement but also( kills) Ethenal . So works out cheaper to add valve master plus to E10.
                          might be worth checking out for yourself.
                          Thanks for that, I'll look into it...

Comment

Originally posted by philmcgrath View Post
                            I just bought E 5 fuel from our local Morrisons in Evesham for £1.69 a litre. Their super unleaded is cheaper than diesel!
                            That's brilliant news; I'll try to get some collected asap and fill the tank and get ready for that sunny summer day

Comment

Working...
                            X