Berlinetta Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlinetta Tyres

So the tyres on my Berlintta are rather perished and wont pass another MOT , looks like i need to buy some more, i have the standard wheel supplied by Marlin and they take 205/70/15 tyres.
    i have always thought the tyres look to big (fat) and would like to take this opportunity to change them to something that looks the right size for the car.
    i recently bought another Berlinetta (sierra based) that has tyres 185/15 on it and i have to say they look a bit better, but of course you cant buy tyres that are just 185/15 any more.
    the next size down from standard on the width size are 185/65/15
    does anybody have any info on tyres apart from fit the 205/70/15 ?
    thanks
    4th Marlin owner

Re: Berlinetta Tyres

Don't you want to be on 185/80R15 if you want to get close to the rolling circumference of your 205/70s? Quick Google suggests there's a choice of those around https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/185-80-15. Bit pricey mind! Sure there are others at more sensible cost.

I dont know what width rims you have on the Berli but assuming they are 5.5J the 185/80s should be okay.
    Last edited by jon_wilkinson; 10-04-22, 04:43 PM.

Comment

thanks for your thoughts jon.
      the wheels are 6J i have fitted.. just checked
      if i go to 185/80R15 then they will still be "fat" looking , i know the rolling circumference will effect the speedo and the car road speed, so it is relevant.
      it seems that the bigger the tyre the nearer they get to van tyres which will be a harder ride and you are correct, more expensive.
      thanks for your thoughts, be interested to see if anybody else has some thoughts...
      thanks again.. terry
      4th Marlin owner

Comment

We are running 185/80R15's and they look right on the car
        liz

Comment

Originally posted by terryrscott View Post
          ...if i go to 185/80R15 then they will still be "fat" looking...
          Not sure what you mean by "fat looking"; do you mean tall sidewalls? I thought you were referring to the width of the tyre, in which case 185/80s will be the same width as the 185R15 that you mention (barring a mm or so depending on manufacturer). If you want to go any narrower width I think you would need to change your wheels and I'm not sure they would look in proportion under the wheel archs.

This might help you to visualise the difference between your current tyres and 185/80s

tyres.jpg

Comment

hi liz, that interesting,
            thanks, could you put up a picture of your car or send a picture private message to me
            thanks if you can
            4th Marlin owner

Comment

Marlin Owners mag Issue 216 March/April 2020 Page 11
              Issue 219 Sept/Oct 2020 Page 5
              Issue 219 Sept/Oct 2020 Page 15 in two tone green
              I haven't mastered posting pics on here!
              Liz

Comment

Here you are Liz/Terry, Q353 at Stoneleigh last year

Rgds DC

PS Here's another from last year, pic by J Godwin
                Attached Files
                Last edited by dcunn; 12-04-22, 07:39 AM.

Comment

hi jon
                  thanks, looks very interesting
                  whilst i digest this can i assume tyre and wheel 1 is the 205/70 R15 and tyre and wheel 2 is the 185/80 R15 ?
                  by fat looking i meant the tyre seems to balloon on the rim , as apposed to it looking like it was designed for the wheel/car
                  4th Marlin owner

Comment

thanks liz, i do find it easier to post pictures than find my way round this forum, but grandkids help...
                    4th Marlin owner

Comment

thanks looks good
                      4th Marlin owner

Comment

on further investigation and looking at pictures of berlinettas in pit stop issue 219 the picture on page 10 has 205/70 tyres, the picture of liz billings car on page 15 has 185/80 tyres which i think look better and as liz says look right on the car, so your picture of tyre comparison is great and just confirms what i shall look for, thanks jon and liz
                        4th Marlin owner

Comment

Originally posted by terryrscott View Post
                          ... whilst i digest this can i assume tyre and wheel 1 is the 205/70 R15 and tyre and wheel 2 is the 185/80 R15 ?
                          That's correct.

...by fat looking i meant the tyre seems to balloon on the rim , as apposed to it looking like it was designed for the wheel/car
                          Any profile 185 should deal with that and the taller the sidewall the better to achieve a more classic look.

Comment

Originally posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
                            That's correct.

Any profile 185 should deal with that and the taller the sidewall the better to achieve a more classic look.
                            And a better ride

Adrian

Comment

The problem is that in my opinion the Berlinetta needs the large diameter of 205/70/15 tyres. If you go for 185/70 tyres they are a smaller diameter. 3 or 4 years ago I struggled to find car tyres in 70 aspect ratio and so settled on 205/65/15 which gave a large choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X