Alternative Alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Alternator?

Back in 2018, I bought a new alternator. With the existing one it seemed to take a long time for the charging light to go out, so when I found an alternator for the 8 valve twin cam engine I'm running, I bought it. I didn't fit it straight away...the problem with charging wasn't getting any worse and I was doing other stuff. Now, having finished (well very nearly) a major rewire, the charging light isn't going off at all. There's no feed voltage to the battery, but the charging light is remaining illuminated...so it seems time to fit my new alternator.
    HOW? removing the original was really difficult, but the new one simply will not go through the gap between the chassis rail and the engine block. I've removed Mr. Marlin's massive steel plate which carries the two adjacent mountings, but I still can't get the alternator through the gap. Obviously I don't want to take off the bottom hose and / or the water pump. The new item is labelled as being compatible with the appropriate engine as fitted to Sierras and Granadas...but I think it's toooo big.
    Any suggestions gratefully received!
    Bill

Re: Alternative Alternator?

Bill,
    I think I have a surplus alternator in the shed, but I am off to help at Navy Wings today, so I'll check when I get home. You are welcome to have it if I can find it as it is from my old DOHC engine.

Chris

Comment

Chris...as ever you're an absolute megastar. The MOT is booked for tomorrow...so please can I run down later this afternoon and collect it? Hopefully I'll be able to fit it this evening......
      Bill

Comment

If anyone else is reading this, I did go to Chris's that afternoon and over the next couple of days fabricated a plate to attach the adjuster bracket to two studs on the water pump (for which Chris also provided the steel), re-fitted the fan belt....job done.The MOT is re-booked for Monday next. Obviously I am immensely grateful to Chris for his help....but also this just underlines how fortunate we all are to have access the our Club and this Forum !
        Bill

Comment

No Problem, that is why we belong to the club.

Comment

Working...
          X