Warsaw to Stoneleigh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsaw to Stoneleigh

Today… hopefully prepared my Berlinetta and myself for the journey.
    According to plan will start tomorrow morning and get my exhaust fixed on the way (ca. 80miles) then probably to Berlin. Hope to take the ferry to Dover on weekend. Maybe overnight stay near London… thought about Lands End…
    I have a short stay possibility in Monmouth and definitely have to get to Blackpool by Thu/Fri next week. Then Peak District meet on the Saturday and Stoneleigh.
    If you have any suggestions regarding points/roads of interest from Dover/London to Monmouth/Blackpool let me know. Lands End was my idea but it’s not a “must”.
    Fingers crossed to get there (and back).

Re: Warsaw to Stoneleigh

Good Luck.
    Hope to see you a week on Sat
    Liz

Comment

Looking forward to meeting you.

Safe journey.

Adrian

Comment

Thank you for good wishes.
        Just small update. Exhaust/silencer connections fixed. Last 20 miles the engine was running not as smooth as usually. On second touching under bonnet it appeared that one of the spark plugs barrel went off the thread and so the HT lead too. Quick fix and it runs ok again.
        Lunch finished and back to driving. (110 miles a day is not enough).

Comment

Look forward to meeting you on Saturday. Have a safe journey.

Comment

Thank you Alan(?)
            And by the way another update.
            First day (Friday)ended near polish border with all together 298 miles done.
            Yesterday has started early (5:15 = sunrise) and first part was on small side roads. But after making about 250 miles in 10 hours decided to speed up. Soft top on and on the highway. As a result we reached Calais about 1 AM with 787 miles more in the clock.
            As I’m at the “miles” topic - 15:19 yesterday the odometer showed 50000. Unfortunately I could not take a drink on that occasion but the Berlinetta consumed quite an amount of her favourite “98”-drink.
            Anothe funny thing is that as I stoped for lunch in a small “vintage” restaurant (truckers bar) it appeared to be located in the middle of an racing circuit. Many old pitures of real vehicles on the walls.
            Tradition verpflichtet: 2018 feiert das Schleizer Dreieck 95 Jahre des Bestehens! Erlebe Rennsportfeeling pur auf Deutschlands ältester und bester Naturrennstrecke und werde Teil der Schleizer Rennsportfamilie!

Today (Sunday) I’m driving slowly along the shore in the west direction. If this is what you call “typical English weathe” I may gladly accept it.
            Was swimming twice…
            Attached Files

Comment

Another update of my journey.
              Previous report has been written on a sunny beach near Worthing…
              Decided to leave the shore and drove across South Downs National Park and North Wessex Downs AONB towards Swindon. (not entering the city)
              Overnight stop on Hackpen Hill with beautiful view of the sunset.
              On a chilly (3 deg.) Monday morning drove down and turned around to see the white horse on the hill slope. Crossed the south part of Cotswolds AONB and got to Purton (ship graveyard). Crossed the Severn near Bristol and entered Wales. Passed Chepstow, Pontypool and stopped in Varteg for a walk up the hill. On early afternoon reached Brecon Beacons National Park. Drove north to Llangynidr, Llandetty, passed Brecon Canal and back south near the Talybont Reservoir. Another walk to see a small waterfall (Blaen y Glyn Uchaf). Seeing this one made me to watch the google maps for other waterfalls in the area... reached the Small Car Park (Ystradfellte Road, Pontneddfechan, Neath SA11 5US) so late that could only see two of four on Afon Hepste before dark. (150 miles)
              Pics: Hackpen Hill and Llangattock
              Attached Files

Comment

Tuesday 26.04
                Woke up early and reached Rhigos Viewpoint in the morning sun. Following narrow side roads got to Peterstone Wentlooge to see another kind of shore - sumpy grass on a partially washed-out, clay-like ground. Small roads again along Usk to Llantrisant and then south part of Wye Valley AONB. Stopped at Tintern Abbey and got to Monmouth to meet my son's babysitter (havent seen eachother for ca. 22 years). (130 miles)
                Pics: Rhigos
                Attached Files

Comment

Wednesday 27.04
                  My sunburned nose was happy with the cloudy weather on the way to Snowdonia... but still no rain. Avoiding large cities drove through Shropshire Hills and got to the coast near Tywyn. Between the road along the Saint George's Channel there was a railway line that I could see most of the time. Could imagine the breathtaking views from a train. Stopped at Fairbourne Motors to get a better look of a car that proved to be a Gentry. Passed Penmaenpool Toll Bridge. Very nice wooden bridge with the fee collected in the old fashion way to a tin cup attached to a long stick (or is this a new - COVID invention?). Left the coast after Harlech and up into the mountains... (195 miles)
                  Pics: Toll Bridge, railway bridge, bedroom view
                  Attached Files

Comment

Another great illustrated Travelogue !

Good to have met you at Stoneleigh.

Best wishes DC

Comment

Good thread, you don’t know where the slotted bumper bolts came from do you, the bolts holding front of the wings to the stays?
                      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Thursday 28.04
                        Passed the Pen-y-pass before the morning sun reached the valley and through Llanberis got to Caernarfon Aviation Museum. Sadly it was closed (no wonder at 7:10 AM) So after breakfast back into the mountains. Short walk/climb near Llyn y Dywarchen, then Salem, Esso Bangor (another not so nice moment of refueling...), Llyn Ogwen, Henllan, stopped at Caldy and Wallasey to see the sea (tongue twister? almost!). Used the Kingsway Tunnel to get to Liverpool and reached Blackpool in the late afternoon (visiting family). (200 miles)

Friday 29.04 - was almost no-drive except for picking up the kids form school.

Pics: Morning light is great - near Snowdon, Llyn y Dywarchen - could you spot the top of my Berlinetta soft-top?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well done Roman. Keep it coming. Lovely pictures
                          Liz

Comment

Got to agree with Liz. Fantastic photos and a truly inspiring travel log. Makes me want to set off in the Roadster now.

Comment

Great log, keep it coming.

Hopefully your not still sleeping in the car

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                              X