Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Mismatched fuel Sender to Fuel gauge

1. #1 Mismatched fuel Sender to Fuel gauge 
    club member Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Hi all

I have had the perennial problem of my fuel gauge not reading correctly.

So after a long thought I think I may have fixed the burning issue.

I had a spare Baoter 3296 variable resistor (look it up in Google) in my bits and bobs tin.

Cheap as chips to buy one.

I have just wired it in series and low and behold I am able to adjust the fuel gauge.

I have set the variable resistor so that it reads full and see if it shows empty when I run out.

Obviously I will take a fuel can just in case.

If this works then it could be used on any mismatched fuel gauges without the need for grafting etc.

Will keep you all informed.

Adrian

2. #2 Re: Mismatched fuel Sender to Fuel gauge 
    club member Club Member jon_wilkinson's Avatar
    Fingers crossed but based on my limited knowledge of electronics I doubt it will read correctly across the gauge.

The best solution, albeit more expensive, is the Spiyda gauge wizard. Used one on my last Roadster to match a Ford sender to an etb gauge. Worked perfectly. No connection with the company, just a very satisfied customer.

3. #3 Re: Mismatched fuel Sender to Fuel gauge 
    club member Club Member boustrophedon's Avatar
    Been there done that on Wee Beastie. A search may even find what I wrote at the time.
    I take it that you have a Ford sender in a Ford tank wired to a Smith's gauge for a BL car. No simple resistor is going to match the dial to the sender across the range.
    I made a operational amplifier based dongle that adjusted for gain and end points, but I was never able to make it reliable. My next step was to fit a miniature RC servo in the dial and control it from a programmable chip. I gave up.

The Ford sender is 75 ohm empty and 10 ohm full. The Smiths gauge on the other hand is expecting a resistance of 260 ohms empty and 20 ohms full. The circuit is fed from a 10V regulators sometimes to be found on the back of one of the dials The gauge is effectively a ammeter measuring the current, which it measures using a resistance coil wrapped around a bimetallic strip. The resistance of the heater wire in the gauge is about 0.1 ohm by measurement on a spare dial, but it is not significant and does not need to be taken into account when designing a circuit to compensate.
    Formally DonSayers on here.

4. #4 Re: Mismatched fuel Sender to Fuel gauge 
    club member Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Oh well, I will see what happens, it hasn't cost me anything except my time.

Onwards and upwards.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by boustrophedon View Post
    Been there done that on Wee Beastie. A search may even find what I wrote at the time.
    I take it that you have a Ford sender in a Ford tank wired to a Smith's gauge for a BL car. No simple resistor is going to match the dial to the sender across the range.
    I made a operational amplifier based dongle that adjusted for gain and end points, but I was never able to make it reliable. My next step was to fit a miniature RC servo in the dial and control it from a programmable chip. I gave up.

The Ford sender is 75 ohm empty and 10 ohm full. The Smiths gauge on the other hand is expecting a resistance of 260 ohms empty and 20 ohms full. The circuit is fed from a 10V regulators sometimes to be found on the back of one of the dials The gauge is effectively a ammeter measuring the current, which it measures using a resistance coil wrapped around a bimetallic strip. The resistance of the heater wire in the gauge is about 0.1 ohm by measurement on a spare dial, but it is not significant and does not need to be taken into account when designing a circuit to compensate.