Throttle cable linkage problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle cable linkage problem

It may be that most 8 valve DOHC Sierra engines were fuel injected, but mine has a Weber carb with a KN filter. I had a new cable made up by Speedy Cables in Cardiff a couple of years ago, but this is already starting to fail (NOT because of poor workmanship or materials, but because of a Ford design feature of the cable adjustment arrangements. The Cabrio engine compartment is quite narrow so the end of the plastic adjustment is hard against the bonnet side panel such that the emerging cable has to turn 90 degrees immediately as it leaves the adjuster and thereby causing chafing of the cable outer sleeve. In time, this wears through and the inner cable eventually fails. The first symptom of this is a stickiness in the throttle action.
    The problem is basically the requirement for the cable to have a straight pull on the carb throttle lever. The adjuster is about 10cm long and rigid plastic. If a gently curved tube could be incorporated to ease the tightness of the turn....?
    Has anyone else experienced and therefore solved this problem? All suggestions gratefully received!
    BIll

Re: Throttle cable linkage problem

Not really familiar with the set up , but could what is called a 'noodle' on cycle braking set up be used. It basically a short length of tube that turns the cable through 90 degrees .

Comment

Have a look at Venhill. They supply all the bits to make throttle cables including right angle metal bends.
      Cheers Robin

Comment

Hi Bill,
        I did PM you, but this supersedes the PM.
        The final location of my Zetec throttle cable is very similar to the DOHC engine. I have higlighted the cable with arrows in the pictures.
        I am using the original cable and it is routed slightly up and forward and crosses across the top of the brake fluid reservoir close to its front.
        IMG_20220529_144645_783.jpg
        It then curves back across the top of the engine (in your case this would be to the rear of the carb, before curving back to the throttle position sensor which is is in approximately the same place as the carb linkage was, if I remember correctly.
        IMG_20220529_144657_626.jpg
        And finally to the bracket
        IMG_20220529_144712_954.jpg
        Engine bay is a mess, but I was faced with the choice of cutting the Omex wiring loom or loosing lots of wire somewhere. I decided on leaving it alone on the grounds of if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Comment

Here's a picture which hopefully illustrates my problem. I've ordered some bits from CBS and Venhill (thank you Alan) and I propose to make up both a custom cable and bracket with an 80 degree Kawasaki noodle to sort this out.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by billjackson54; 30-05-22, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Having driven to Derbyshire and back for the Newfold Farm weekend with an interim bodge as the clip that should hold the adjuster in place fell off and out somewhere, this is what we finished yesterday. The interim bodge is in the second photo. Note the liberal use of cable ties!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by billjackson54; 16-06-22, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Job's a good un !

Comment

Working...
              X