Newfold farm camping weekend 11th - 12th june 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newfold farm camping weekend 11th - 12th june 2022

As much advertised in Pitstop...the Newfold Farm weekend is on 11th and 12th June 2022...just over a week away.
    If you want, you can of course do your own thing all weekend, but if you want to do something with others from our club, there are plans for both days, see below.
    We will meet up (whatever your accommodation) at Andrew’s field between 10 and 10.30 each day (first field on the left off Shaw Wood Farm Lane…this is a left turn from the Mam Nick end of Edale Valley, and a right turn after the main village turning if approaching from Hope. The Lane and the entrance will be marked, look out for MOC ! There is no formal charge for us, but contributions in the churn will be appreciated. Go carefully…I’m not sure how good the surface of the lane will be.
    CAMPERS…you will know where Newfold Farm is, and all the facilities you will need including an excellent café are on site. There is also the Rambler Inn (01433 670291) or the Old Nags Head (01433 670268) if you want a meal later in the evening, as apart from Pizza (available to pre-order from the café) the café closes around 5pm.
    HOTEL / DAY VISITORS / B and B people: we will meet on each morning between 10 and 10.30 in Andrew’s field from where a footpath leads into the Station Car Park. There is another excellent café on the station approach (Prop Chris Reid) and you can of course use the café at Newfold Farm, or either of the two pubs mentioned above. If you want to visit the camping, you can leave your car in Andrew’s field (or the Station Car Park, or the Public Car Park adjacent to the village street…both of these levy a Parking Fee) as you are advised to walk up to the main village. It takes 5 to 10 minutes, you pass the Rambler Inn, the Church, Mam Tor House, Belmont and Stonecroft on your left and then the Old Nags Head will appear in front. Turn left at the phone box and you’ll see the village shop. The Café is behind and to the left of the shop and the camp field behind that.
    THE NEAREST PETROL is in Hope, at HOPE GARAGE. …there is also a Supermarket in Chapel-en-le-Frith (about 8 miles).
    WHAT TO DO????
    Castleton boasts the Blue John cavern, Speedwell and of course Peverell Castle, where the BBC filmed “Ivanhoe” in days of yore. On Saturday there’ll be a run out to Chatsworth and / or Haddon Hall and on Sunday a run out to Barrow Hill Roundhouse.
    Last edited by billjackson54; 31-05-22, 09:08 AM.

Re: Newfold farm camping weekend 11th - 12th june 2022

Do we know who's attending?

Comment

A definitive list does not exist: members were encouraged to book with Newfold Farm directly and there was no suggestion made that they should say "I'm an MOC member". Anecdotally, I know of about 10 members planning to attend. I'm going, anyway!

Comment

After a super weekend in Edale and driving round the Peak District, we ended up coming home on the back of a breakdown truck. First time in 30 years of Marlin ownership that we have had to do this. A constant velocity joint on off side drive shaft gave up the ghost and left us with no drive. Luckily we were next to a field gateway not far from Buxton and the truck arrived under 2 hrs. It couldn't take the caravan but we recovered this with our Yeti and everything was home by 3pm.
        Liz

Comment

Shame - but good to know all safely achieved.

We enjoyed our catch ups, and we'll look at maps, as discussed.

Best DC

Comment

That's bad luck but pleased that you got home safely. It was great to see you both and all the others at the weekend. Look forward to the next time.

Comment

Great to see everyone. Hope Doug & Liz get the car mended in time for Newark. We made good time home, which was just as well, as I was suffering S&D last night! Must have eaten summat! Dave & Caroline

Comment

Update. Bolts coupling the driveshaft to the hub had come out and driveshaft was no longer coupled to hub. Amazingly the bolts are undamaged and still in the driveshaft and the threads in the hub also seem to be undamaged. The CV joint has quite a lot of play in it and needs replacing.

Comment

Hi Liz/Doug
                  Are the bolts 'Torqx' type head ? I've read and experienced these coming undone for reasons I've never managed to fathom. I replaced with allen key type and Loctite thread locking compound . Just make sure threads are clean internally.
                  Ford apparently used the torx type for ease of assembly. I've bought cv joints /driveshafts from a firm in Birmingham [JR driveshafts or something like] that advertise on e bay. Good stuff that doesn't cost a fortune!
                  Last edited by A_Hogg; 14-06-22, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Many thanks for advice. Collecting driveshafts today from SAS at Matlock. Will ask them about new bolts but dindn't fancy Locktite on Torx bolts.
                    Doug

Comment

We are back home again now after our extra 2 days walking in Edale.
                      Sorry to hear that our Cabrio "rear end" maladies have somehow jinxed your Berli Doug, though I am thinking that if a CV joint can fail without prior symptoms my noise worries are looking increasingly like a failed wheel bearing as we discussed. All will be revealed shortly......!
                      Unlike the esteemed Mr. H. I found that the torx-headed bolts were so tight that the torx tool just twisted to destruction - the trade said they often find that they have to resort to use of a grinder. I ground a slot to weaken the head and allow the use of a large flat screwdriver blade in a hammer-driven impact driver to shift them.
                      The replacement allen bolts came with the diff. from Kit Spares and the driveshafts from Grahame Goode in Leicester who have a comprehensive list of shaft lengths/diameters/spline count on their website.
                      Great weekend, regards All, John

Comment

Now got all the parts ready for re-assembly. Bolts arrived this am from Sierra's 'R' Us NW Ltd.

Comment

Just waiting for replacement wheel bearings to be delivered - APC tracking says they will be here by 12!
                          Only the n/s hub investigated at the moment and bearings found to be duff as was the concensus of opinion at the weekend - both races have pitted rollers with the in-board race having a broken roller too, all after less than 2000 miles. I have replaced wheel bearings before so I cannot think that it is something I have caused.
                          I expected better from Burton Power and have reported back to them accordingly - especially since I have just purchased 2 more sets!
                          Off side next while I await their reply - might be better to send the delivery back and purchase elsewhere.
                          Thanks to all who predicted my problem.
                          John

Comment

John, I would try to get replacements from a bearing supplier that supplies Timken, SKF, or NSK or similar quality.

Comment

I agree with Alans advice to use Allen key Bolts and also some blue threadlock. The MK1 & MK2 Ford Granada's had this set up. I do recall the bolts coming loose on our family car and the Ford dealer said that the car needed 2 new drive shafts , from the clonking noise at take off. However after their dodgy inspection, we inspected this ourselves and discovered the allen key bolts had all come loose . So blue Loctite or equivalent is the way to proceed.

A useful tip for undoing tight torque bolts that may have had loctite on the threads is to heat it up a bit. That softens the blue loctite.
                              I use an electric paint stripper gun with a heat deflecting shield on the end . Obviously using something in addition to protect the CV rubber gaitor from the heat .
                              Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 21-06-22, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X