Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from New Zealand from Andrew Priest (Purple Peril as was...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from New Zealand from Andrew Priest (Purple Peril as was...)

Hi all, I hope there are still a few old-timers who remember me and Margaret from the 80s and 90s.... please say hello. The Purple Peril as was known... Was a mk1 roadster registered 1983. GT6 rear diff (3.27). Late Spitfire half shafts (longer). ] Engine: 2500PI and OD Gearbox (ex PI saloon). Engine converted to twin 1.75 SU Carbs with bored out inlet manifold, custom exhaust manifold, stage 2 head and fast road cam. TR6/Saloon gearbox. This required removal of original gearbox mounts and packing engine forwards (approx 1 inch) to squeeze gearbox in. After a few years, I got Paul Moorhouse to add a 6 inch piece in Chassis to make it into LWB, copying the LWB Marina idea, no doors, new ally side panels, wider Marina base wings and matching extension pieces. Have sent a couple of photos to Ben Caswell already. I believe it was the only 2500 powered roadster built this way from scratch, I guess others must have put the 2500 lump in by now, but I suspect not many have tried the larger TR6 gbox. I hope it brings back memories of Margaret and I carrying a vast amount of stuff for kit shows (club banner, tent, chairs, etc...) which amazed everyone. Been a while after I lost contact with the club and I happened to see it doing well, so i thought I would register and say hello.... Andrew (and Margaret)
    Last edited by TVRFan; 05-06-22, 06:54 PM.

Re: Hello from New Zealand from Andrew Priest (Purple Peril as was...)

Hi!
    Where abouts in NZ are you?

When I finally get my Marina based Roadster certified I may be able to drive over for a chat

I'm in Gore - Southland

Comment

Pleased to hear from you both, and to know you are well. I have some very happy memories from when you were both very much involved with the club. Your car the Purple peril
      is still talked about when anything Triumph comes up. Keep well, very best wishes Danny Nelson.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
        Hi! Where abouts in NZ are you? When I finally get my Marina based Roadster certified I may be able to drive over for a chat I'm in Gore - Southland
        I'm in Havelock North, sunny Hawkes Bay, so it will be a long drive ! (and a ferry ride) Andy.

Comment

Just a wee bit too far - unless I am traveling for an event of some sort!

Comment

Andrew, back in 1987 it was you and Margaret I first contacted when I was considering building a Berlinetta.
            I remember visiting Capesthorne Hall, it was all very much simpler then. It still took me 4 years to build the kit.
            First registered in 1992, so 30 years old this year. not as many shows around now, remember the annual meet at Meriden.

For nostalgia I've included some scans of the 1st Pit Stop I received from 1988

Good to hear from you

DaveH
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andrew,
              Wow, lots of water under the bridge since then. How time flies! I have fond memories of when you and Margaret were heavily involved with the club, Meriden and the trips to France included. Do you remember the slalom test at Meriden? Lots of fun!
              I am always humbled at what people will do for their clubs, past and present, without whom, clubs just wouldn't exist and that goes for the MOC. I think we forget just how much work goes on behind the scenes by the committee members.
              Anyway, good to hear from you and regards to you both.
              Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris,

I do remember some things, but there was SO MUCH stuff going on at shows, and much of the time we were 'stuck' (by choice) on the stand dealing with people and trying to promote the club. Yes, I remember the Meriden slalom, and laying it out. Running a club does takes a lot of time and effort, especially at the start, before setting up a proper committee and constitution. We always tried to do the right thing for the club and the image of Marlins, and sometimes decisions were unpopular with some members. Some decisions were a dilemma. I still miss my Marlin sometimes on a sunny day, but the sunburn out here would be a killer..... We are both glad that we did the club setup, and more than happy it survives to this day. The TVRs were fun too, but I've sold them both now as well (I did bring them to NZ with us). I haven't quite lost the petrolhead though, my 'boring' clone car is a Toyota Aurion (not avail in UK) which is a Camry but with a 270bhp V6....It's even smoother than the Triumph L6 and it's a great 'sleeper' saloon, yet it's amazingly good on gas with a light right foot. That's another aspect of the technology moving on too. Carbs ?? PAH !! A 3.5L V6 giving over 40mpg ? Yes, it really does.

I do remember we sometimes got an audience when packing up the tent, awning, club banner, stuff I had bought, etc. with people saying "how the hell do you get all that in there ?" (My Marlin) Happy days.... It's a great shame that my Purple Peril no longer exists, but that's life.
                Last edited by TVRFan; 06-09-22, 08:29 PM. Reason: typos fixed

Comment

PM sent...check top right of your screen "notifications"

Rgds DC

Comment

Working...
                  X