Cabrio blower annoyance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio blower annoyance

Damnation! This thing continues to stubbornly refuse to work. Not even the wires give me a reading and everything has been traced as it should.
    No heat control that i can see either, so I guess I'll find out if I have heating or cooling as standard 🙄
    20220703_141126.jpg

Re: Cabrio blower annoyance

Check out the continuity between those soldered connections and the resistors. They look like they may be dry joints. They should really be push on spade connectors. Also check under the resistor where the wires are spot welded to the terminals. I had one fail because the weld there had snapped off! From memory the resistors should be wired to a rotary switch to give you off, slow, medium and fast. Best check the Haynes wiring diagram as that memory is about 20 years old!

Comment

That brings back memories - stuff to double check.
      1) yes, those connections look VERY dodgy. As posted above, they should be spade connectors.
      2) check the resistor itself - I once had a problem where the wire was broken inside, but it was not obvious to see at all, and one those wires is a 'common' so if broken nothing works. Mine would work sometimes and not others, as wire ends touched.
      3) check resistance of motor directly (black and brown wires) and also it should work if power connected (black is +12V brown is earth ....I think. Should work either way) .
      4) can be the motor itself - it has carbon brushes which can wear to point where they don't connect properly any more, but can show continuity with meter.
      5) do rotors turn easily ?? a seized motor (bearings normally) will burn out/damage its brushes very quickly
      Last edited by TVRFan; 03-07-22, 07:58 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

looking at photo again, I remember now, the wire break was just where it goes through the base, so can't see it without a lot of looking.

Comment

As seems to fast becoming the norm with rebuilds, the mundane becomes the suprising.

Resistance readings identified, so reverse identified the wires, exactly 180° wrong. Thanks to the FB MOC helping reverse my mistake.

Whilst checking the fuse box and tracing the ever-changing rainbow of wires, I discovered that the heater blower wire was in the coil pack fuse location, and the coil pack was plugged into the blower fuse location. I'm fairly daft for not checking sooner, but I had not played with the fuse tray set up since acquiring the car and had assumed it was correct due to the excellent wiring diagrams/pro-level. Ho-hum. It may be why I've not been able to start the car previously [eye roll].

Comment

Update: blower works so no need for a new one! Huzzah!

Comment

Working...
            X