This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio engine keeps stopping

hi folks, you really helped me with a Berlinetta that i couldn't start, well now i have a Cabrio that the engine keeps stopping, (last time in the outside lane of a busy dual carriageway)
    so, the detail,
    the car starts ok and can be driven for about 20 to 40 minutes and then suddenly the engine dies, just like you have turned the ignition off, now this has happened about 4 times now.

It just wont restart as if its run out of petrol, if i leave it about 15 minutes then it will start again, i then head for home, so i dont know if it would happen after another 20 minutes or not.

Due to a ticking over problem the car had i fitted a brand new carb (long story) that made no difference to the stopping problem, i fitted a brand new distributor the type that is really basic, no electrical connections to it, (apart from the coil feed) at this point i must point out the car is a sierra pinto powered automatic , that new dizzy didnt help, so i put the old distributor back on the car.

Its a vulcan engine with a 4 branch manifold which produces a very hot under bonnet temperature, it also runs at about 95deg C all the time.
    Another point i need to make is because it is automatic the gearbox cooling is carried out in the radiator, now the guy that built it , who is no longer with us fitted another radiator in front of the existing radiator to cool the gearbox even more, the problem is with this modification is that air cannot get through the radiators which makes the under bonnet temperature even hotter, so fitted an electric fan in front of both rads to force more air through, that made no difference to the stopping problem.
    i have changed the plugs, checked the timing, changed the thermostat and i am currently putting some insulation on the exhaust manifold, i have removed the petrol cap immediately the car stopped in case there was some strange vacuum built up in the tank.
    The car has an engine management system ESC11 an original ford fit, a weber 2V carb with an automatic choke, which is connected to ESC11 module as is the carb.I get the impression when the engine stops without warning the car has just overheated especially as it starts again after about 15 minutes
    Has any body got an idea why the engine stops , ? i need to fix this its blooming dangerous.
    thanks
    terry
    4th Marlin owner

Re: Cabrio engine keeps stopping

Hi Terry. I once had a similar problem with a 911 that i once owned. Car would run OK unless it was held up in traffic when it would cut out. Once it had cooled down slightly it would fire up again. Turned out to be a sensor that was heat sensitive. On the subject of lagging the exhaust, which I think does help to keep under bonnet temp down and improve gas flow in the process, only do it with stainless exhaust components. Best of luck tracing your problem. David.

Comment

Does it has an electric fuel pump, is it situated at the back of the car?
      Does it have a swirl pot?
      Sometimes this sort problem is caused by fuel vapour trapped somehow. A few pictures of the engine bay would help.
      Paul

Comment

Are both radiatores heating up?

Have you checked there are no blockages?

Are the water pump and thermostat working OK ?

Just a thought Terry, often the problem is fuel vapourising in the pipes due to
        excessive heat so you need to get rid of the heat under the bonnet.

As a trial, you could put something under the opening bonnet each side to leave
        you a gap of say 25-30mm (and securing the bonnets to stop them flying up !)

...............but I should wait for the end of this heatwave first
        Last edited by dcunn; 11-07-22, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Does it have an ignition coil? I have had one breakdown when hot.
          Basic test, carry a spare spark plug. when it stops disconnect an ignition lead and connect it to the sparkplug. make sure the body of the spark plug is in contact with the engine block. Try to start. No spark = ignition problem.
          Spark = suspect fuel issues.
          Last edited by chris_cussen; 11-07-22, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Had a similar experience a few years ago...overtaking on the M42 & engine died..! Happened several times after c 40 mins drive time...wait 10 minutes & it would restart fine. Turned out the HP fuel pump in the engine bay had a hairline crack under the connectors which would expand at a certain temp and break contact...took me ages to track down the issue. I know you have carbs rather than EFI but where is the fuel pump and is it exposed to excessive heat?
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Does the engine management system have a diagnostic port? Most do. If so I would investigate the possibility of getting a diagnostic tool that plugs in. I guess there will be some fault codes.

Cheers Robin

Comment

My Cabrio died on me three months ago and had to be towed home. It has a Ford engine. The fault turned out to be the relay for the electric fuel pump. I replaced it and touch wood all has been well since.

Comment

thanks david,
                  one question , why only lag a stainless exhaust ?
                  4th Marlin owner

Comment

hi paul
                    the engine has a standard Pinto mechanical fuel pump, not an electrical one.
                    the swirl pot item is in cardboard box in the boot, i believe the last owner took it off, probably chasing this fault, not sure what the swirl pot does really.
                    terry
                    4th Marlin owner

Comment

hi
                      yes both radiators are getting hot, the water seems to flow around ok, but i do believe the original rad is struggling for air thats why i put the fan on
                      water pump seems ok, free to turn etc, i changed the 2 fan belts to ensure the pump drive (fan belts ) were not slipping
                      iam agreed that the heat under the bonnet is causing some sort of overheating in the fuel or ignition system
                      this heatwave doesn't help , but a trial run with bonnet held open say 25-30 mm is a good plan, i shall put that on my list
                      terry
                      4th Marlin owner

Comment

hi chris,
                        yes thats a good basic bit of trouble shooting, that will go in the glove box today, thanks
                        terry
                        4th Marlin owner

Comment

sorry i forgot to mention , yes it does have a coil, need to put a spare one of those in the boot as well
                          terry
                          4th Marlin owner

Comment

hi
                            the fuel pump is in the standard pinto location, i am hoping getting the temp down under the bonnet will fix it, looking at the fuel pump i think its a new one,...
                            4th Marlin owner

Comment

hi robin
                              its to old a design to have a diagnostic port, i think it was designed before OBD 2 was invented, shame really, because that would be a great help..
                              4th Marlin owner

Comment

Working...
                              X