X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cabrio engine keeps stopping

hi phil
    interesting, one of my thoughts was to fit an electric fuel pump, but on reading your note its moved down my fixit list, thanks anyway
    terry
    4th Marlin owner

Comment

"not sure what the swirl pot does really"

Its intended to stop fuel starvation during heavy cornering etc. Same way that racers would put baffles in the fuel tank to try to stop all the fuel sloshing over to one side or another, which would also potentially cause fuel starvation when the fuel pump pickup doesn't find any fuel.
      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

hmm , thanks for the info.
        well thats interesting, so if i understand the logic correctly , without it fitted if i went round a big roundabout low on fuel the engine could stop.
        so regrettably that may not be my answer, i had 3/4 of a tank of fuel and was crawling along in traffic jam when the engine stopped in the last situation.
        further thinking about the situation i am in , if i dont have one fitted and the car went round a big bend it could stop the engine, having said that it should start again pretty quick and not take 15-20 mins to start again.
        thanks again , i shall look into the swirl pot subject, there might be something in that
        thanks
        terry
        4th Marlin owner

Comment

Hi Terry. Apparently mild steel exhausts rust more readily when wrapped and cast manifolds don't like being wrapped either. Although it would be difficult to lag a cast manifold anyway. I've got a cast manifold with twin stainless downpipes ( about four feet long) which are wrapped, don't have scientific evidence and it might be only wishful thinking but I think it gets some of the heat out of the engine bay and to my ear smooths out the exhaust flow. Regards David.

Comment

thanks david, interesting
            terry
            4th Marlin owner

Comment

I would argue that with a carb you don't need a swirl pot because that's taken care of by having a float chamber . With fuel injection the last thing you need is an interruption in the supply as the pump relies on the fuel to cool it and to provide some measure of lubrication if that happens they can fail very quickly.
              If the problem occurs again check the coil , it should not be hot to touch. Where is it located as that can be a factor?

Comment

It’s not a swirl pot it’s a fuel vapour separator. The Pinto will run without it.

If your ECU is mounted on the nearside like the Sierra and inside the engine compartment, then I think the problem is that excess heat is cooking your ECU. Electronics don’t like excess heat!

I would try and cable tie the ECU outside the bonnet and go for a test drive. If as I suspect the problem goes away then you can easily rig up a box inside the bonnet to contain the ECU and feed cold air to it from the front of the car. The air could exit through the existing side louvres. Peter.

Comment

hi peter, thanks for the suggestion,
                  i had wondered if the ECU was getting to hot, because of your suggestion i had a quick look under the bonnet just now and the ecu is about 25mm from the nearside edge of the radiator so before i drive it any more i am going to move the ecu rearwards under the bonnet to a more vented location, its free easy thing to try (luckily its on the opposite side to the exhaust.)
                  as and when i think i fix this issue i will put a note on here so others can benefit
                  thanks
                  terry
                  4th Marlin owner

Comment

You could always do what was done on my previously owned TVR Chimaera and move the ECU into the passenger side footwell; obviously place it up high out of reach of feet. If I get chance tomorrow I look where the ECU is on my Cabrio, and let you know where thats mounted.
                    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

Comment

I would try to establish if it is a fuel or spark problem. If you can safely reproduce the problem, for example by leaving the car to idle in the drive, then check the plug is giving a good spark. Just removing the plug should confirm the presence of fuel.
                      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
                        I would try to establish if it is a fuel or spark problem. If you can safely reproduce the problem, for example by leaving the car to idle in the drive, then check the plug is giving a good spark. Just removing the plug should confirm the presence of fuel.
                        Paul
                        thanks
                        4th Marlin owner

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
                          Paul
                          i am reasonably convinced now it is an overheating ecu, because of its location, so i am going to move it to a cooler location, this will take some time, i shall get back to all of you with the outcome, thanks, terry
                          4th Marlin owner

Comment

Originally posted by terryrscott View Post
                            i am reasonably convinced now it is an overheating ecu, because of its location, so i am going to move it to a cooler location, this will take some time, i shall get back to all of you with the outcome, thanks, terry
                            Just a reminder to always disconnect the battery before unplugging the ECU ! 😉

Comment

The ecu on mine is high up in the passenger footwell just behind the dash. It seems to stay cool up there. The relays and flasher unit are there too.

Comment

As I promised, I've just checked the ecu location on mine and its also just under the dash in the passenger footwell with a cover over that area to stop any wayward feet.

Comment

Working...
                                X