Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!

Hi,
    My alternator packed up today. It's on a Rover V8 and is an early V-belt, two post type Lucas LRA381 or Quinton Hazell QH FRA39.
    I cannot find a replacement anywhere, does anyone know of a company that does alternator rebuilds/repairs?
    The alternative is to change the wiring to accept the Lucas 3 spade connector type alternator which was used on later models and is still available.
    I have attached an image of the connection end of the alternator.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    Attached Files

Re: HELP!

HI Mike. Chelston Electrical in Torquay are still trading. They used to do this sort of work. Maybe worth giving them a ring? Peter.

Comment

To get a replacement I have had some success sending a message to an eBay vendor. I get the feeling it is a bit of a challenge to take the edge off an otherwise boring day. They must have good access to equivalent charts. I chose one based on good feedback score e.g. more than 10,000 sales more than 99% positive. I imagine it will be cheaper to get a replacement than have it refurbished.
      Good luck, Paul

Comment

Thanks Pete & Paul for the advice.
        Panic over!
        Through a lot of asking around I have been able to source a "new"/refurbished LRA381 for exchange.
        I have another failed LRA381 that came off an early SD1 3500 I owned, its been sitting in a corner of my garage for 30+ years.
        Will follow up on Petes lead and see if I can get that one refurbed.
        Thanks once again.
        Regards Mike.

Comment

A handy thread for me given I’m concerned about the alternator on my Rover V8 powered Sportster. When the Kenlow fan cuts in all the gauges change their readings! On a dynamo car I’d suspect the voltage regulator. Would it be the same with the regulator built into the back of an alternator, on the way out maybe? It seems to be providing sufficient charge OK.
          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Possibility of a bad earth to the dashboard or lack of voltage regulator for the instruments.
            Bluebelle didn't have a voltage regulator and all the readings changed when you switched on the lights. Doug

Comment

Hi - I also run a V8. I get changed readings on some gauges, notably water temp, when headlights are on, I'm sure it's a voltage regulation problem. I know some gauge manufacturers produce regulators. I rarely drive in the dark, so it is not much of an issue.

I had a problem with the diode pack on the alternator burning out at regular intervals. It was repaired several times by an auto-electrical firm nearby, but would always fail again after a few months, so I gave up with that company. I eventually found a factory recon unit which must have been on the shelf for decades, and that has been absolutely faultless, so I would recommend getting the best you can find, rather than repairing a dud.

Meanwhile, my Cabrio is in dock, having broken down on the way back from Newark - See the Newark thread if you want to know more!
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              X