Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this plug ?

Hi,
    whilst trying to sort out some electrical problems to do with idling on my Cabrio a few months ago , i came across this plug in the picture attached.
    its right on the end of the throttle cable under the bonnet next to the rocker cover.
    the car is a sierra pinto engine with auto gearbox
    the plug doesn't seem to do anything, any ideas ??

p.s. i have searched the Haynes manual diagrams but cant find anything like it.
    IMG-4540.jpg
    Last edited by terryrscott; 23-07-22, 10:16 AM. Reason: additional info
    4th Marlin owner

Re: What is this plug ?

Looks like a throttle position sensor?
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

To me doesn't look like a throttle sensor, as it doesn't seem to have a 'rotation' or movement type setup. I wonder if it's a WOT switch (Efi systems typically have a WOT setting, = Wide Open Throttle, which tells system that engine is at full load). Newer Efi systems detect this from a combination of position and how fast the throttle was opened, but some older ones actually had a switch. It could be a WOT for the autobox instead ?? But it definitely looks more like an on/off switch to me rather than a variable sensor....

Hope this helps !

Oh, just remembered..... REALLY old mechanical autoboxes had their own cable attached to the main throttle cable and it was used for 'kickdown' to drop a gear on the autobox when you hit full throttle, perhaps it could be a kickdown switch ???
      Last edited by TVRFan; 23-07-22, 08:01 PM. Reason: another idea.

Comment

I'm thinking same , switch for kickdown on autobox.

Comment

My first thought was a kickdown switch but then I found this, which looks very similar.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

well there is a couple of good guesses. and i agree it could be either, but did ford sierra automatics have a throttle position sensor system, maybe they did if they had cruise control, or maybe its just for ECU magic ?? this car doesn't have the secondary kick down cable system but the gearbox definitely has a functioning kickdown system so it could well be that.
            maybe i should disconnect it and go for a drive and see what happens, put an avo across the terminals on the sensor itself , open the throttle and see if it makes a circuit
            thanks for your response, more work to do..
            terry
            4th Marlin owner

Comment

hi, the link didnt show on my screen , but i found the link you put up on the MOC website, most strange, anyway that is the cable i have in my car but i am more confused now, that says its for and EFI engine which i think is Electronic Fuel Injection ? but this engine and the sierra the car is based on didn't have fuel injection, but maybe the wiring was installed (and does nothing currently) so that ford could introduce fuel injection at a later date on the production line.
              the mystery deepens, but thanks anyway...
              4th Marlin owner

Comment

Working...
              X