triumph 2500 engine and gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• triumph 2500 engine and gearbox

I am interested did anyone (except me) ever fit either a 2500 engine, or a Saloon/TR6 gearbox in their Triumph or hybrid roadster? Or can I claim the Purple Peril was, and remains, unique ?

Re: triumph 2500 engine and gearbox

Three years ago (2018-2019, not sure which but Danny might remember) a Cabrio came up for sale that had been intended to have a Rover V8 installed...but I believe the engine and box were stolen...so the owner, a long-term admirer of the Triumph 2.5 6 cylinder motor and happening to have one by him, as it were, fitted it before selling the car on. I don't recall any further detail, I'm afraid.
    Bill

Comment

I can recall, I know the car well I own it!! However I think Andrew may be the only one to fit the larger saloon gearbox in a Marlin Roadster. The Cabrio is larger so no problem fitting most gearbox I have a conversion and a type 9 on the back of the 6 cylinder engine.

Comment

The Purple Peril was indeed unique Andrew

Comment

That's interesting to me - that means that there must be a bellhousing conversion for Triumph 6 to type 9 gearbox available. All these years on, I reckon I should have bought a hybrid instead of extending mine, and then shoehorn the Rover V8 in. But at the time I didn't realise such a roadster was actually in the works. I remember seeing a V8 roadster at Stoneleigh. A kind of parallel idea was that at one point I considered a red-top Vauxhall engine to type 9 for my TVR Vixen - the same would have worked well in the roadster I think. Probably someone HAS done that ? I ended up putting a 2.8V6 Efi (ex Scorpio lump) and type 9 in Vixen, and it was quite a squeeze, and frankly a bit too heavy. TVR made the 'Tuscan V6' which was basically the same, a Vixen with the Essex lump (even heavier), which must have been worse!

Funny to think that now in today's world I have a Toyota Aurion (not avail in UK) which is the most powerful car I've ever had (200Kw 3.5 V6) and is quite the 'sleeper' as it's a Camry bodyshell and doesn't even have a spolier. A complete swop from the kit car and TVR ownership days. I reckon the sunburn + windburn here in NZ would be REALLY BAD in the Marlin !!

Nice to able to claim my car was unique, even though it's gone.
          Last edited by TVRFan; 26-07-22, 07:08 PM. Reason: change syntax

Comment

Working...
          X