Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progress, but still seriously exhausted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress, but still seriously exhausted.

I have abandoned the plan for the twin box exhaust system I had considered. There really isn't anywhere to locate the boxes under the car without potential ground clearance problems. A good friend who has done much work for me before has repacked my existing single box with "the right stuff" and I'm all set to refit the updated system to the car. As there is really no room for the new Ashley manifold I was hoping to use with the twin box plan I'm looking for a new gasket for the seal between Mr Ford's manifold and the twin downpipes. It's heart shaped with two 45mm holes mounted by three 10mm studs and copper nuts.
    The appropriate gasket is as common as hens teeth. My local Euro Car Parts came up with something similar, labelled XR2, Granada and Sierra....but it's the wrong size!
    To the point...I've made gaskets many times in the past. Given the right material, I expect I can do it again....but cardboard or ordinary gasket paper is not suitable for an exhaust gasket...so WHAT SHOULD I USE, and WHERE CAN I GET SOME ?? I've tried a gasket search on-line, but after my experience with Euro Car Parts (who are usually spot-on and I don't mean to be critical of them in any way at all)...I don't have too much confidence that an online order will actually deliver the required item.

Re: Progress, but still seriously exhausted.

Is this the one , E bay item 314092452331 ?

Comment

Thanks Alan...I certainly hope so...that's the one I've ordered! The vendor is very helpful, posted it First Class at my request, but post strike today so it may not get here before the weekend.

Comment

Hi Bill - My V8 Cabrio was initially fitted with the Marlin supplied exhaust system, one box each side under the floor. On a trailing throttle going downhill, it would pop-pop-pop all the way down. Also a bit loud overall. I had an extra box made for each side, as small as possible, which pass under the front corners of the fuel tank before exiting as normal at the rear corners of the body. It quietened things down and got rid of the pops. I have not experienced any problem with heat transfer to the fuel tank and only occasional grounding. So it is possible to fit a 2nd box. Incidentally, if your exhaust exits anywhere near centrally, you have one of the sections fitted backwards, and will experience fumes rolling up the back and into the cabin. Oh yes, box is approx 12" by 3"dia. Dave

Comment

Working...
        X