starter motor Marina 1800 Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter motor Marina 1800 Roadster

Can anyone help a new owner with information as to where he may be able to purchase a replacement starter motor for his Marlin The starte motor is the type with a piggy back solenoid .

Re: starter motor Marina 1800 Roadster

Or go old school Lucas for only £45 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155086147963

Comment

I purchased the above for my 1800 with Marina box. It didn't fit because the 2 mounting holes in the engine back plate are located in the wrong place and for this to fit extra steel would have to be welded to your back plate and 2 new holes redrilled.

To clarify trying to use the existing holes caused the aluminium nose of that starter to be turned in and fouling against the ring gear.

It will therefore only work if you have the MGB backplate and gearbox fitted .

Because of this I fitted the original inertia type. I had a M35J fitted when I got the car , but have since fitted an inertia starter older off an A60 and that works fine, after I rebuilt it.
      Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 22-09-22, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I have a brand new one of these in the box for sale as it didn't fit my 18v with original MArina box backplate. It will only fit a car with the MGB box fitted with overdrive.

Comment

Seeing the price of some of the starters on ebay, 1800 Diesels maybe? I would look at servicing the original. Mine has had a new solenoid and brushes under £20.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
            Seeing the price of some of the starters on ebay, 1800 Diesels maybe? I would look at servicing the original. Mine has had a new solenoid and brushes under £20.
            I am now ableto post.
            Thanks for all the suggestions.
            I found an excellent reconditioner in Stoke on Trent, who has fitted a new solenoid and brushes, so all good to go back in.

Comment

Even though they may fit you cannot or should nor interchange a pre engage starter with an inertia type. The two types engage the teeth on the flywheel from different directions and the lead on the teeth on the flywheel will be on the wrong side if you change type.
              Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Working...
              X