Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: camber angles

Thanks again for all this info.

I have checked that the components are the same both sides, and made any measurements that I can, and looked for play anywhere - that all checks out OK. so I had concluded that the issue must be with the chassis itself, particularly after Franklins first comment.

In my case, the offside wheel is further out at the bottom than the nearside; I ideally need to push the bottom of the nearside wheel out about 5mm to equalise them, then I can adjust both to set them with less lean. I'm aware that at the end of this, the front will be lifted a little.

I had decided on a similar solution to Franklin's, working out that 3mm of packing would produce about 4mm of movement at the bottom of the wheel, and that would be sufficient. after seeing the eyebolt photo, I think I'll reconsider - maybe 2mm?

Anyway, in a way it is reassuring that my car is not the only one with discrepancies in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbelly View Post
      Thanks again for all this info.

I have checked that the components are the same both sides, and made any measurements that I can, and looked for play anywhere - that all checks out OK. so I had concluded that the issue must be with the chassis itself, particularly after Franklins first comment.

In my case, the offside wheel is further out at the bottom than the nearside; I ideally need to push the bottom of the nearside wheel out about 5mm to equalise them, then I can adjust both to set them with less lean. I'm aware that at the end of this, the front will be lifted a little.

I had decided on a similar solution to Franklin's, working out that 3mm of packing would produce about 4mm of movement at the bottom of the wheel, and that would be sufficient. after seeing the eyebolt photo, I think I'll reconsider - maybe 2mm?

Anyway, in a way it is reassuring that my car is not the only one with discrepancies in this area.
      Front height on the roadster can be easily adjusted at the bulkhead end of the torsion bars if you really need to. Someone will be along here soon to tell you how, or search the Roadster forum.

Comment

I packed the relevant side with a c2.5mm shim. This should leave enough of the striations in contact with tube, and allows the centralising top hat washer to remain undisturbed. There are also two threads visible on the end of the fastening, which I seem to recall is desirable from an MoT perspective.

After a shakedown run, I measured again with the spirit level etc. The camber isn't quite equalised, but it is much closer than before, so it isn't obvious to the eye.

I think that I will leave it at that.

Thanks again for all the input from members who have experience of the same issues.

Comment

Working...
        X