Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roadster Wanted

1. #1 Roadster Wanted 
    club member Club Member
    As anyone who follows the forum knows, I have been rebuilding a Marina based Roadster for some time. However progress is slow and so I am looking to buy a complete and running car to fulfill my Marlin fix while I am doing the rebuild!

My main criteria are:

Marina based preferably the MK2 spec.
    Needs to be tidy and road worthy with full weather equipment and heater. I don't want another project.
    Not fussed about the engine although I am not a great Ford fan.
    Preferably fitting the Historic Car criteria so Tax and MOT free.
    I have up to 4k as a budget which, from recent sales, should provide me with a very tidy car. Marlins still undervalued in my opinion but that is the market...

I am a serial Marlin owner having built the Triumph Roadster LUR191K and the Sportster currrently owned by Steve Pritchard, plus of course the car I am rebuilding.
    There are a quite a lot around, on Facebook, Gumtree and Car and Classic that I already dismissed for various reasons although I am still considering:
    A red Marina based roadster on Gumtree that is currently prices at 2.5k. Its been off the road for 25 years so going to need some serious re-commisioning I suspect, making the 2.5k a bit optomistic.
    A red Marina based roadster fitted with an Alfa engine on Car and classic. This looks nice but registered in 1992 (must be one of the last made?) so still needs Tax and MOT for many years.

For any prospective sellers I will look after it! Anything else out there?

Cheers, Robin

2. #2 Re: Roadster Wanted 
    club member Club Member
    Not a fan of the instrumentation in the Alfa engined one, and why has the vendor not sorted out the tickover if it's the carbs needing balanced -it's not difficult!

3. #3 Re: Roadster Wanted 
    club member Club Member jon_wilkinson's Avatar
    Nice red Roadster in the latest Pitstop looks like it would fit the bill nicely, Robin.

4. #4 Re: Roadster Wanted 
    club member Club Member
    Blast from the past ! That was my son's old car . I've contacted the seller for location as it could be a Christmas pressie for grand daughter and was sold not long after she was born.

5. #5 Re: Roadster Wanted 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
    Nice red Roadster in the latest Pitstop looks like it would fit the bill nicely, Robin.

Yes, looks just the job. I have seen the advert and emailed the owner.

Cheers, Robin

6. #6 Re: Roadster Wanted 
    club member Club Member
    Car already sold.

7. #7 Re: Roadster Wanted 
    club member Club Member jon_wilkinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by martinclan56 View Post
    Car already sold.
    Can't say I'm surprised.

8. #8 Re: Roadster Wanted 
    club member Club Member
    Does anyone know or recognise the green Roadster also advertised in the latest issue of Pitstop? I would quite like a little more info before I make contact.
    Cheers Robin

9. #9 Re: Roadster Wanted 
    club member Club Member
    As above - was my son's car twenty years ago and it's coming back home . He was somewhat surprised last night when my wife and I told him we had purchased the car for his family, though as his chief mechanic I'll get to be on the insurance hopefully! He's not usually at a loss for words so this was an exception. So with 2 Roadsters and 3 Cabrio's behind me I'm back in the game so to speak. Retirement boring - not a chance!

10. #10 Re: Roadster Wanted 
    club member Club Member
    Well done. We thought you might buy it back!
    Liz & Doug