Hood frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood frame

I am having problems with my hood rails. When the hinge is fitted to the tub, the top of the door glass(protruding 17mm out top of front of door guide)is 25mm too high for the glass suuround on the hood frame. I have got round that by 22mm spacer block under hinge, but that leaves a big gap where the sheet steel now stops.
    I will try to get the photo through. I have thought of adding a sheet steel section to the bottom of the frame, and scrapping the spacer, which would be neatest. Any other ideas, or reasons why??

Re: Hood frame

Message originally posted by: Alan Hogg
    Door glass should be fine at 17mm out of top of door guide. Check main hoop is level with top of screen frame,if not adjust by slotting the main hoop to hinge fixing bolts. Some adjustment may be possible on the side frame assy by screwing the side frame link ball joint in/out .Also check that the point at which the side frame link ball joint attaches to the door rear seal plate is in the correct position. Hope that all makes sense.If it helps I can send you photo's by e mail if you post your address .Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, e mail marks(at)northlees.org.uk. Tried to email but pics too big.Could email direct. gap too big to slot . Rest of hood fits fine, althogh back screen has diagonal wave accorss each top corner.

Comment

Hi Jonathan,
        I had a similar problem. The glass comes out of the door too much. I had to take the door apart and move the winder mechanism down. The winder now hits the bottom of the door in the down position. It is still a little too tall and touches the top of the side frames.

I have attached a couple of pictures to show the frame position on Millie.

Good luck ? I found it very painful to do. Get loads of masking tape, cardboard and padded cloths to protect the paintwork.

Paul

PS: Thanks for the email your finished car looks wonderful.

Comment

I just hate the way it throws away you picture without warning!

Comment

I have thought about trimming the glass. Anyone done that J?

Comment

I think trimming it would solve your problem but not in the way you want !!

Toughend glass will shatter as soon as you try anything like that so unless you get new door glasses made you will have to find another solution.

Comment

Attach a sketch showing dimensions , which show why I have put the spacer in . What dimensions has anyone else got. Cheers J

Comment

Hi Jonathan,
                  I have measured my window. On Millie the window?s top edge is parallel to the top of the door for the rear half of the window and then dips down towards the front. The parallel rear part is 330 mm from the top of the door dipping to 310mm just before the front radius.

Having thought about it I had to limit the window travel by adding to the plates in the winding mechanism. This was annoying because I had made the plates very precisely. I would recommend any builders to leave an extra couple of millimetres to be trimmed down after a trial fitting. I also adjusted the limit stops to get the window to stop accurately.

The more I think about this the more I think the manual is insufficient in this area. You really need to know dimensions of the windows up position when you build the door before everything is finished and painted.

Please can other owners put their measurements here to see if we get a consensus as to the ideal measurement?

Paul

Comment

Paul
                    I have e mailed my measurments to Jonathan already ,however for the record my frame was exactly the same but glass protrusion measured 20mm from front channel,335 mm at a point approx mid way along door and 340mm at its rear edge.From the measurments Jonathan sent me I suspect that the bottom of his door glass is not parralel to top of door. On your comment of stop plates my manual actually suggests that one edge be left oversize for trimming/adjustment.Lets hope he finds a solution!

Comment

It looks like the glass is NOT parallel to the door . The mechanism was when offered up, but when the glass was glued in there is some discrepancy, also any error is compounded. Will try repositioning the lower floating slider, otherwise I may just settle for a modified frame. The hood does not look too bad, although the rail is 20mm higher than the screen top. That, of course could ruin my aerodynamics!!!!. Could always fit a wing.....

Comment

Working...
                      X