New member in Bristol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member in Bristol

Yesterday acquired my first Marlin and for its first trip drove from Poole to Nottingham, four hour journey (188 miles half at night) hood down, and cold with an unreliable fuel gauge. Cracking little car with a lovely blat sound from twin cam Alfa engine.

Re: New member in Bristol

Welcome John. There are many solutions to the fuel gauge, it's a common problem, use the search function on this site.
    Rgds DC

Comment

Welcome and enjoy that gem of an engine.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Here's one recent thread that you might be interested in: https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...ort-fuel-gauge

Not the only way to solve the problem though and, as DC said, a search will bring up a few options.

Comment

Hi Dave (dcunn), I tried to send you a private email since I'm interested in any history of my Marlin, and since I see you are the club Archivist thought you may help. But I don't think the message was sent, did you receive anything.
          Cheers John

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
          Welcome John. There are many solutions to the fuel gauge, it's a common problem, use the search function on this site.
          Rgds DC
          Last edited by jicousins; 24-11-22, 03:41 PM. Reason: I'm finding the use of this forum a bit clunky!

Comment

Thanks, the Spiyda gauge wizard looks really interesting.

Originally posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
            Welcome to the forum. Here's one recent thread that you might be interested in: https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...ort-fuel-gauge

Not the only way to solve the problem though and, as DC said, a search will bring up a few options.

Comment

Originally posted by jicousins View Post
              Hi Dave (dcunn), I tried to send you a private email since I'm interested in any history of my Marlin, and since I see you are the club Archivist thought you may help. But I don't think the message was sent, did you receive anything.
              Cheers John
              Hello John

I can tell you a little bit. I was also interested in the car (going to see it the day after you) so did a bit of research. It was originally advertised on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/2444...5891018776274/ by the daughter of the previous owner. You can also get a fair bit of info by looking up the MOT history.

I hope you enjoy it :-)

Cheers, Robin

PS. Before doing too much to the fuel gauge itself, the first step should be to check what sender you have. There were various different fuel tanks, and hence sendors, used by Marlin builders. Or you could just go old school and use a dip stick in the tank ;-)
              Last edited by martinclan56; 24-11-22, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Hi John, you should by now have the resent copy of my email which I messed up, sorry !

Comment

Originally posted by jicousins View Post
                  Thanks, the Spiyda gauge wizard looks really interesting.
                  I put one on my last Roadster and can recommend it. The maker is a really nice chap as well. No connection; just a satisfied customer.

Comment

Hi Robin,
                    Many thanks for the information.
                    Yes I was interested in the car when it came up on facebook marketplace in August, and was in communication with the then owner. I was particularly interested in a Marlin with the Alfa engine and gearbox (which were manufactured 1971-1976). I consider the car as a special build, having previously owned Alfas in the 1980s , first a 2 litre twin cam GTV, then a 2.5 litre GTV6.
                    However I hesitated probably because I didn't know enough about Marlin cars! Which resulted in Nigel Bristow beating me to it!
                    Nigel obviously didn't suit the car, so luckily I had a second chance.

Cheers, John

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
                    Hello John

I can tell you a little bit. I was also interested in the car (going to see it the day after you) so did a bit of research. It was originally advertised on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/2444...5891018776274/ by the daughter of the previous owner. You can also get a fair bit of info by looking up the MOT history.

I hope you enjoy it :-)

Cheers, Robin

PS. Before doing too much to the fuel gauge itself, the first step should be to check what sender you have. There were various different fuel tanks, and hence sendors, used by Marlin builders. Or you could just go old school and use a dip stick in the tank ;-)

Comment

The funny thing is, you probably bought it because of the engine, and it was the very thing I was concerned about having had plenty of experience with Marlins, but none of Alfa twincams!
                      Cheers Robin
                      Last edited by martinclan56; 25-11-22, 04:34 PM.

Comment

That is funny, I did buy it mostly because of the engine, but also once I realised that Marlin roadsters are very similar to the old Alfa Romeo 6C Gran Sport from the 1930s, I was hooked! And I don't know any other kit cars that use the Alfa twin cam.

Alfa also recreated the 1930's 6C Gran Sport in the 1960's with the lovely Quattroruote Gran Sport Zagato, which also looks similar to the Marlin Roadster, and has the 105 series Alfa twin cam engine. Only around 90 cars were built.

An Italian coach builder Pettenella also recreated the 6C Gran Sport in the 1970s with the Leontina Sport Zagato roadster also using 105 series Alfa twin cam. Only 20 cars were built.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/14487/lot/257/

I'm dead chuffed.

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
                        The funny thing is, you probably bought it because of the engine, and it was the very thing I was concerned about having had plenty of experience with Marlins, but none of Alfa twincams!
                        Cheers Robin
                        Last edited by jicousins; 26-11-22, 11:05 AM. Reason: info updated

Comment

Working...
                        X