MkII seat belt mounts in a MK1 Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MkII seat belt mounts in a MK1 Roadster

The seat belt mounting in my early Marina based roadster are primative to say the least. I would like to fit the arrangement used in the later models which uses inertia reel belts.
    I have seen a picture of the mounting in the later manual. Does anyone have a dimensional drawing? Or even better a set of the seat belt posts, used to mount the interia reels, that are surpless to requirements?

cheers, Robin

Re: MkII seat belt mounts in a MK1 Roadster

I looked at this many years ago. Without removing the rear tub and welding parts to the chassis, I considered it too much effort.

To be anywhere near ideal the mounting for the shoulder strap needs to be higher than the tub rim, at least higher than your shoulder to be anywhere near standard.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 09-03-21, 07:02 AM.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Car looks like this at the moment. So I have full access!

in_man-shed1 by Robin Martin, on Flickr

I am making some other modifications to the chassis which require welding so now would also be a good time to improve seatbelt mounts.
      Anything must be better than the current arrangement my car has.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

This thread has photos of the Marlin arrangement shown in the build manual: https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...light=seatbelt

seatbelt.jpg
        Last edited by jon_wilkinson; 08-03-21, 03:35 PM. Reason: added snip from build manual

Comment

Thanks - yes I have seen that. It doesn't seem beyond the wit of man to fabricate.
          Does anyone have any pictures of the actual thing?

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
            Thanks - yes I have seen that. It doesn't seem beyond the wit of man to fabricate.
            Does anyone have any pictures of the actual thing?

Cheers, Robin

If you follow the link in thread #4 from Jon, you will see a picture on the last but one post
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
              If you follow the link in thread #4 from Jon, you will see a picture on the last but one post
              Thank-you. Missed the image the first time round.
              Cheers Robin

Comment

Here in NZ the existing seat belt system was considered unacceptable - and we need the "ability" to fit a rear roll over bar
                (New build - 26 years old but never been on the road)
                So I made up a cross bar with verticals that a roll bar can be slotted into

I will be using a four point harness - a standard lap diagonal will not meet the safety requirements - modern seat belts have explosive tightening devices!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Wow - that is substatial looking! I have planned a few mods to my chassis but nothing quite that extreme.
                  Is the pole running through the middle part of the mechanism by which you can rotate the chassis? What is at either end?

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Yes the pole is my rotisary

years ago I bought an engine hoist and it came with an engine build stand - which has been used for one engine and three washing machines so far

I modified it to be horizontal and a bit taller - that is one end of the rotisary
                    I weded a bit of steel tube onto the engine hoist - where it did not get in the way - and that is the other end of the rotisary

Then some crude brackets to attach to the front and rear bumpers
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X