Serial number position for gearbox and rear axle please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial number position for gearbox and rear axle please

I am at present filling out a form for the dvla and need to supply these numbers could someone supply me with there locations .

I am refurbishing my garage/workshop at present and can not get much access as the car is covered with loads of bits.

Thanks

Phil

Re: Serial number position for gearbox and rear axle please

BL, or whoever, never serialised the gearboxes to my knowledge.
    There are numerous iterations of the basic Triumph casing, not just in gear ratios, input shafts, reverse gear idlers, the list goes on.
    each individual gearbox after 50+years is really best classed as unique, who knows who has looked inside, strip it down, before buying spares.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I thought that may be the case, the gearbox has overdrive which points to it being a Triumph unit althouh I do recall reading a few decades ago that you could get a Marina with OD as an option.

Cheers Phil

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
        Thanks Steve, I thought that may be the case, the gearbox has overdrive which points to it being a Triumph unit althouh I do recall reading a few decades ago that you could get a Marina with OD as an option.

Cheers Phil
        OD was never a standard option on a Marina or Ital.
        That would not preclude a reasonable mechanic from retro fitting a Triumph OD box after the first purchase but it will not be tagged with a serial number so still no hope with DVLA.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

If the DVLA requires "serial numbers" then you can add them
          Just make up some suitable numbers and stamp them on the castings

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
            If the DVLA requires "serial numbers" then you can add them
            Just make up some suitable numbers and stamp them on the castings
            I get the impression, but stand to be corrected that phild is heading towards an IVA test.
            It’s not the time to play silly games that could scupper his plans.
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I seem to remember that when my Cabrio went through IVA I put N/A for gearbox and differential numbers. But that was 11 years ago and I can't find the copies of the paperwork I filled out.

Comment

Working...
              X